day in my life

Begin your read today by clicking on this.

Woke up just before 6:00. Nels had put the coffee on automatic, so a cup was ready to pour (always makes for a good start to the day). Blogged.

6:45 a.m. Nudged the girls and took a shower--it's still dark outside.

7:00 a.m. Girls up and moving. I begin the porridge and lunches.

7:50 a.m. Leave for school. Lots to remember today as both girls have violin and it's supposed to rain. We drive through this covered bridge every day to get to school.


8:00 a.m. Drive into town to pick up some tax documents for work. The leaves are just glowing on this cloudy day. Drove through this bridge to get home.


9:00 a.m. Arrive home. Begin laundry.

The rest of the morning is spent preparing a blog for a project I'm doing with kids from New Hampshire and Montana. They are going to study the Westward Movement and share what it was like for pioneers from each location.


Lunch--yummy butternut squash soup laced with cider and curry, a glass of cider from our weekend pressing. Quick walk to get outside. No rain after all.


The rest of the afternoon was spent sending comments and notes up to a meeting that was being held an hour away. I declined to drive.

3:00. The neighbor delivers Hels from school. OOPS. I thought she was to be there until 5:00 doing archery.

Hels and I had a snack and a visit. I begin a secret Christmas project for certain blog readers in my family :)

Lou and friend arrive to play for a bit. Nels arrives home. Girls come in encased in leaf fragments. Banished to the showers.

Nels makes steak fajitas (more weekend leftovers) while I help with practicing. Hels is learning Vivaldi's Autumn for an upcoming concert. What a beautiful piece of music. Maybe someday she'll play it like you should be hearing.


6:30 dinner time. Oops. Not dinner time. Phone call from a neighbor (who we don't really know) saying he'd been up so "see our garage project" (hmmm? I haven't seen him here) and would we like to buy some siding from him? Turns out he has a lot of siding he wants to sell....at 25 cents a board foot! Wow. A gift from out of the blue as siding is about 75 cents a board foot at the local lumber store.

6:45 dinner. Fajitas are a hit.

7:30 We all gather around the fire to read (we're all sucked into fabulous new books). Hels is reading the latest Bloody Jack book. I'm reading Sarah Vowell's new book The Wordy Shipmates, Lou is reading an Emily Windsnap book. Nels is reading a new one by Neal Stephenson. Silence.

7:50 The silence doesn't last long as Lou stops reading Emily Windsnap (too exciting or tense for before bed) and asks to go up to read Ballet Shoes. We snuggle into bed for a long read.


8:15 Lou is off to sleep. We all continue with our books. The fire crackles, the flannel sheets are cozy--a lovely autumn evening.

Lisa Anne  – (October 15, 2008 at 9:24 AM)  

Lovely Day.

I will look for the bloody Jack books for Amelia. She likes Horatio Hornblower which is of a similar theme. Amelia loved Ballet Shoes when she was Lou's age, we recently watched the movie which she did not like very much, I think the story had lived inside her so much that seeing it in movie form was too disappointing

dawn klinge  – (October 15, 2008 at 9:56 AM)  

Those covered bridges are so charming. Thanks for sharing the wonderful music as well...what a fun way to read about a day in your beautiful life.
Also, thanks for the links you left in the comment on my blog.

Tammy  – (October 15, 2008 at 10:46 AM)  

Oh this was NICE to read. I love normal, ordinary, typical days. Especially fall ones that involve leaves and snuggling up to read. Sounds like it was a great day. And I LOVED those photos of the bridges. :)

Jenny  – (October 15, 2008 at 6:16 PM)  

Oh that covered bridge - just like in the movies.
Bookreading and fire warmth - beautiful.

Lucy Honeychurch  – (October 15, 2008 at 7:16 PM)  

Hi Sarah,
I was looking at your pictures of beautiful deciduous autumn trees. How lovely to live amongst them all. Here in Australia we are about to embark on another hot summer in the hills of Adelaide. Every year we hold our collective breath and hope that we do not have a bush fire. Does living in amongst the trees in Vermont hold a similar tension during summer? PS: I'm now on a mission to find and purchase an apple press. Feeling very inspired!!

Sarah  – (October 15, 2008 at 7:25 PM)  

Hi Everyone,

The cider press we used was borrowed and handmade. I looked into their cost and they are quite pricey. I wonder, however, if you could find the metal parts at an antique shop and then build the wooden parts.

We don't have any real fire worries even though we live in heavily wooded hills. It doesn't get all that dry here.

Cadi  – (October 15, 2008 at 11:34 PM)  

Wow. It must be nice to have someone cook dinner! :-)

Marytoo  – (October 16, 2008 at 12:55 AM)  

Thank you for the Vivaldi Autumn, the perfect combination! I LOVE Vivaldi, and I LOVE autumn! What more could anybody want?

woolladyfelter  – (October 16, 2008 at 4:59 PM)  

What a lovely day, Its nice to have a day where there is no drama and filled with gifts. Thanks for sharing - I will have to do this too. It would be interesting to document a whole day. I love the photos that go with it. I'm a very visual person.

* *  – (October 17, 2008 at 9:14 PM)  

Yum, that soup looks wonderful!
My son just had his first violin lesson yesterday! We are all so excited about this new adventure : )
What lovely pictures to go along with a lovely sounding day, thanks for sharing!

Anonymous –   – (October 18, 2008 at 1:57 PM)  

Congratulations on your award!

Now, with the prize money, get that girl a music stand!

(The music teacher in me is coming out!)

I thought of you on Thursday when I stopped by the inner-city Waldorf school in Minneapolis. They graciously allowed me to pick up a few items from their school store.

Thanks for sharing the beautiful vignettes of your family life!

Tara  – (October 21, 2008 at 5:42 PM)  

It's nice that you all read together. I picked up Bloody Jack books thinking they looked interesting but found the subject matter a bit too old for Tess. Maybe in a few years, or maybe I'll read them myself. I've found some of the teen books I've previewed pretty interesting.

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment!

Tutorial: needle-felted figures

tutorial: Balloon Lanterns

tutorial: neede-felted advent spiral

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP