Porridge Sundaes

I'm getting things ready for school which starts tomorrow. In addition to laundry, sorting violin music and backpacks, finding rainpants and indoor shoes, I'm trying to organize some food--our school doesn't have a cafeteria, so we pack lunches every day and I try to give the girls something hot in the mornings.

The one breakfast food both my children always agree upon is porridge. I keep in stock Irish Oatmeal, Vermont Morning, and Bob's Red Mill. By alternating the types of porridge, it doesn't get quite so boring.

We usually eat it with brown sugar, milk or maple syrup. This year I've decided to try something a little different--porridge sundaes. I've stocked a tray with chopped walnuts, pecans, dried cranberries, raisins, and brown sugar in the hopes that they will add some other ingredients to their porridge. I'll also have chopped apples and other fresh fruit available when I have time. I like the idea that my children are having something warm that will stick to their ribs.

Over the years, I've discovered that porridge accessories such as little pitchers and dishes add to the joy of eating breakfast. I first began using these when they wanted to pour by themselves but couldn't manage large containers. Now I use the little pitchers in an effort at portion control. Otherwise we'd go through GALLONS of maple syrup. I'm always on the watch for little pitchers at yard sales. I think using them adds a touch of specialness to an otherwise rushed meal.

Suse  – (September 4, 2007 at 8:14 AM)  

I have porridge for breakfast every single morning, all year round.

Thanks for delurking on my blog (some time ago now, ahem, sorry for delayed resopnse). And reading through your blog I discovered Simmy stayed with YOU! Now I understand your comment on my blog!

Lovely to come here and 'meet' you. I'll be back.

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment!

Tutorial: needle-felted figures

tutorial: Balloon Lanterns

tutorial: neede-felted advent spiral

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP