Letting the necessary speak

After a busy weekend full of

baking bread

making granola

and boiling sap...



....I reflected on the idea of simple living. Simple living sometimes doesn't feel so simple. I decided that a better word for the kind of life I hope we are leading might be "grounded." And then I found this quote:

The ability to simplify means to eliminate the unnecessary so that the necessary may speak.

exactly.

Pussnae  – (March 30, 2009 at 8:10 PM)  

Love that quote-just sums it all up!

Anonymous –   – (March 30, 2009 at 8:34 PM)  

I'll be along to pick up my quart of syrup! A small price to pay for the services of a professional silviculturist......;)

Anonymous –   – (March 30, 2009 at 8:56 PM)  

Perfectly said!
What a great reflection!!

Lisa Anne  – (March 30, 2009 at 9:09 PM)  

Indeed, I thought moving to this farm would lead to more simplicity and now I wonder if I was temporarily insane. I really like that quote, I may have to tape it to my fridge. What a perfect looking weekend.

dawn klinge  – (March 30, 2009 at 10:03 PM)  

That quote is so true. I don't like the way my life feels when I get too busy for the necessary things, like making bread.

Tammy  – (March 30, 2009 at 10:53 PM)  

Oh, so true! I think that often when I bake bread, make a meal from scratch, putter in the yard, etc. And yet....oh, the feeling is just marvelous when the task is done!

I loved this post. :)

sarah  – (March 30, 2009 at 11:03 PM)  

A beautiful quote for a beautiful way of life.

Mrs. Darling  – (March 31, 2009 at 12:31 AM)  

Having lived the Laura Ingalls life in my chidlhood I have often said that it really isnt simple. Its very time consuming and lots and lots of work. I love that quote though. Thats positively true.

kristin  – (March 31, 2009 at 5:35 PM)  

such truth in those words. thanks for sharing and also for another peek into your daily work and warming way of life.

Penny  – (March 31, 2009 at 8:07 PM)  

Exactly indeed, and just what I needed to hear - thank you!

Maribeth  – (April 1, 2009 at 10:25 AM)  

Who wrote that? It really sums up so much. Cooking from scratch, tending to home and yard and garden, making things, being involved with our children and community. So necessary, yet busy, busy, busy. I guess that is it for me, simple doesn't necessarily free one from the busy life.

Linda  – (April 1, 2009 at 12:48 PM)  

I love the quote and your life does look so wonderful and wholesome!

Anonymous –   – (April 1, 2009 at 4:29 PM)  

Simple living doesn't mean less work, does it? But when it's necessary work, then definitely you feel more grounded.

Nan  – (April 3, 2009 at 9:29 AM)  

Good, good words. Just for fun, I looked up simple in an online dictionary:

"easily understood or done; presenting no difficulty
• plain, basic, or uncomplicated in form, nature, or design; without much decoration or ornamentation
• [ attrib. ] used to emphasize the fundamental and straightforward nature of something"

I think the whole simplicity movement might want to rethink the term. :<) I like 'grounded' and 'fundamental' -

Anonymous –   – (April 3, 2009 at 6:36 PM)  

Mmmm that maple syrup!!!

My Grandpa used to say that simple living was really a very intricate dance, but once you learnt the steps you can really live into that rhythm and dance with the world.

woolladyfelter  – (April 4, 2009 at 10:18 AM)  

What a beautiful quote. Nice syrup - I taped my first tree ever this year and we got about 2 small jars worth. I will be doing much more next year!

onegoldensun  – (April 5, 2009 at 12:39 PM)  

Yum! Maple syrup and fresh granola. I love the quote too. I have the fondest childhood memories of tapping maple trees and drinking the fresh, cool sap water. So delicious!

the little travelers  – (April 7, 2009 at 5:39 AM)  

since we travel quite a bit my girls are constantly asking me when we can go to where people live like laura and mary did in the little house in the big woods- maybe it's your house! they would be in heaven here!

Sarah  – (April 7, 2009 at 5:57 AM)  

Well....they say that Vermont is another country :)

sarah  – (March 21, 2010 at 2:47 PM)  

Hey Sarah. I finally got through to your comments section! I've been trying for a couple of days - the combox won't come up for me on the main page. You must have embedded comments - they can be a problem for many people.

Anyway, I found a way through and so now I can tell you I love the look of your weblog :-)

Kelly  – (October 30, 2010 at 8:47 PM)  

This quote is so beautiful and so true. Thanks! :)

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment!

Tutorial: needle-felted figures

tutorial: Balloon Lanterns

tutorial: neede-felted advent spiral

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP