Spiraling in....

Little signs of Christmas are emerging at our house. This little wreath is sitting out on our porch--the stones soaking up the Advent light gathering warmth deep within.


Spirals are an important image for me at Christmas. They are a symbol of the inward spirit that flames so strongly at this time of year.


I wanted to create something that would remind me to seek peace. To seek quiet. To remember the spirit during all the merriment and festivities that come with this joyous season.


This is our new Advent calendar. A little apple moves from star to star, each day spiraling inward. The center candle--to be lit on the solstice--sits in the star of the apple.

Lou has made some sugar cookies to have with eggnog for an afternoon Beaver. Nels is putting out Christmas lights. Hels is getting the Christmas books from the attic. And so it begins. During this joyous season, I hope we can all stop just a bit more to find that star that glows deep in each of us.

Linda  – (November 30, 2008 at 1:59 PM)  

Aaaah this is so beautiful, thank you so much for sharing, the Advent calender is so creative, I love it!!

sarah  – (November 30, 2008 at 2:12 PM)  

How beautiful! What an inspired idea.

Anonymous –   – (November 30, 2008 at 3:50 PM)  

Very lovely.... We have the spiral of light still to look forward to with our youngest... those solemn steps spiraling with a lit apple through all the greenery and lovely crystals and stars...

kristin  – (November 30, 2008 at 4:24 PM)  

thank you sarah. you always say it just right. we are looking forward to doing our spiral at the school ...it's my absolute favorite of all celebrations.

your advent calendar is such a lovely idea.

Anonymous –   – (November 30, 2008 at 6:01 PM)  

Stunning. Just stunning. I so wish I was your kid :)

dawn klinge  – (November 30, 2008 at 10:06 PM)  

Looking inward seems to be such a natural part of this season. It's important to acknowledge the need to do so. Your Advent spiral/calendar is absolutely lovely.

Anonymous –   – (December 1, 2008 at 6:35 AM)  

Sarah, this is beautiful! You are fast with your needle too! Thankyou for all your wonderful inspiration.

Crescent Moon  – (December 1, 2008 at 8:32 AM)  

I love the simple and beautiful design of your advent spiral!

Anonymous –   – (December 1, 2008 at 10:47 AM)  

This is my most favorite Advent post so far this season. Your handiwork is beautiful. I especially like the stones soaking up the sunlight.

Your Advent calendar reminds me of a book I just read entitled How Mama Brought the Spring by Fran Manushkin. There is a blue table cloth and round cakes very much like your stars. It is a great book to read in the Winter. I think you would enjoy it.

Yarrow  – (December 1, 2008 at 1:32 PM)  

How beautiful. I love the wreath with stones. Lovely. Solstice blessings.

Lisa Anne  – (December 1, 2008 at 5:13 PM)  

Very beautiful! You have to see our Advent spiral on my blog, I couldn't believe when I saw yours- Great minds think a like!!

Anonymous –   – (December 1, 2008 at 6:18 PM)  

Your advent spiral is absolutely beautiful. This time of year is always a bit odd for me. I grew up christian, but adopted judaism many years ago when I met my husband. We joyfully follow the seasons through the lens of judaism, but I find that I miss some of the traditions I grew up with (e.g. a homemade advent wreath every December). Thanks for letting me enjoy your preparations. I am looking forward to imaging something special to make with the kids for the upcoming festival of lights.

World Wide Alternative  – (December 1, 2008 at 6:28 PM)  

Beautiful idea, I love the winding down, spiralling in.
We of course are going the other way. Trouble is, I'm not sure where I sit right now. Quite strange...XXxx

Anonymous –   – (December 1, 2008 at 10:29 PM)  

You seem to always capture these celebrations in such a beautiful light, helping me to understand them in a deeper way! Thank you for this inspiration, what a lovely idea! We are planning to make a wooden spiral soon.
I am sad that we will miss the Winter Fair at the school, I was really looking forward to it! You will have to share lots of pictures ; )

Anonymous –   – (December 2, 2008 at 7:48 AM)  

Hi Sarah,

Your calender is so beautiful ,so simple and so warm. I love it !! Have a wonderfull and loving advent time !

Thank you for your lovely words.

Anonymous –   – (December 4, 2008 at 11:21 PM)  

I have gotten seriously behind and am just now catching up on my feed reader....

That is so, so lovely! It reminds me of the advent spirals we have done with our kids in the past: the darkness and soft music, the serious faces, the slow steps into the spiral, and the slowly growing glow of the candles.

Teaching Handwork  – (December 6, 2008 at 9:16 AM)  

great tutorial! LOVE IT! I will make one today

marcia  – (November 15, 2010 at 7:34 AM)  

I LOVE your advent spiral! Truly simple and peaceful. I think we will do this at our house this year. Thank you for sharing.

happy day!

amy  – (November 15, 2010 at 11:58 AM)  

This is awesome! Thanks for sharing it. I am always looking at an advent calendar of sorts for winter solstice and the numbers don't work out right in a regular calendar placement of course. :)

Unknown  – (November 25, 2010 at 10:09 AM)  

It's lovely, I look forward to making one similar. This is a special celebration that the children very much enjoy.

Melodie  – (December 14, 2010 at 10:52 PM)  

This is gorgeous. So glad I found you!

xlpharmacy  – (November 23, 2011 at 2:47 PM)  

What a simple way is to make an adorn for Christmas, I had never had the originality to create something like that by my own, thanks for sharing this images and tips because I'm gonna fill my hall with these adorns.

Anonymous –   – (October 12, 2012 at 1:58 PM)  

Hi! What a BEAUTIFUL spiral you have! I'd like to link to you for my blog post about homemade Advent... may I use one of your Spiral photos? Of course, always giving credit where credit is due, and keeping any watermarks you might put on intact. Please let me know at kchara@aol.com

Unknown  – (November 30, 2012 at 12:27 AM)  

Lovely. A technical question -- how does the apple not get brown and slimy by Solstice / Christmas?

Sarah  – (November 30, 2012 at 6:10 AM)  

I change the apple out now and then!

ครีมยางพารา  – (September 26, 2013 at 9:22 AM)  

I like your website. Thank you for great information. I will come back to your website again.

best regards

Anonymous –   – (November 21, 2013 at 8:33 PM)  

A beautiful spiral! Are the materials listed somewhere? Is the spiral itself made of different yarns? Many thanks. Anna

Anonymous –   – (November 27, 2013 at 12:06 PM)  

I to was wondering what the spiral is made off. I do not think it is yarn, but not sure what it is. And what is the little thing that moves each day? Do you wait to put the apple in the middle at the last day? thinking a cut apple would not keep for 25 days or do you coat it with something.

Maymomvt  – (November 29, 2013 at 6:51 AM)  

It is made with wool roving...unsound wool that I twisted a bit and needle pointed on to a piece of wool felt. I felted a little wool apple to move around it, but have also used a small candle and a walnut. I periodically replaced the apple the year I had the apple in the center. I have seen these also made with stars cut from yellow and silver felt and glued down. Have fun!

EZ Flash IV  – (April 15, 2014 at 11:14 AM)  

I do not think it is yarn, but not sure what it is. And what is the little thing that moves each day?

Mama Murphy  – (August 30, 2016 at 12:23 AM)  

I know this is now an old post, but I was wondering what us the significance of the Apple? Thanks!

Kristin  – (November 13, 2016 at 9:19 PM)  

I am ordering supplies to make something similar with a group and wonder if you can tell me the dimensions of the spiral?

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment!

Tutorial: needle-felted figures

tutorial: Balloon Lanterns

tutorial: neede-felted advent spiral

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP