Over the river and through the wood...

We had a lovely Thanksgiving with 14 for dinner and many overnight guests. Luckily our neighbors were out of town so we cooked two turkeys at her house. While the house didn't smell of turkey all day, it made preparing the side dishes possible. Here is the arrival of the turkeys.

I was so busy cooking that I forgot to take a photo of part of the table--it had an extension reaching almost into the kitchen. Luckily Hels was using my camera throughout the day.


Hels's third try at making pumpkin pie turned out to be a success. My Mother made an apple cider pound cake--delicious!

A walk in the woods and a little football was very necessary after this feast. I wonder how my Uncle's back felt after all the tackling?

My brother cursed me when he saw this puzzle back out after not finishing it last year. He ended up working on it for two days and discovered it has a big error in it. I promised not to have it out again!

Evening brought turkey sandwiches, more pie and games such as Yahtzee and Thunder Hole dice. The stones are from our island vacation. The bowl was carved by Hels.


Friday brought lots of outdoor time--Nels and my brother sided part of the barn. The rest of us ventured into the woods to find treasures for terrariums.

It was fun to make little forest worlds from moss, lichen, and bark.


I love having these little bits of forest with us through the winter.


I hope those of you who celebrated Thanksgiving this week had a lovely time. We certainly did. To the family members who read this blog--I'm so glad you were all here. It was nice to be together remembering those who aren't with us anymore and being thankful for the love we all share.

With these bits of green and red decorating our home, it's time to turn our thoughts to the lovely Advent season.

Cerwydwyn  – (November 29, 2008 at 9:38 AM)  

When you make the terrariums do you put water in the bottom? I'm curious if they 'live' or if they are more like flower arrangements that last for a while and then wither.
They are lovely and I'd love to do something like that with my little one.
Thanks,
Tina

denise  – (November 29, 2008 at 11:21 AM)  

Sounds like a wonderful holiday!

Love the terrariums - what a great idea.

Dawn  – (November 29, 2008 at 11:53 AM)  

Looks like a wonderful holiday. I am so happy that I stumbled by your blog. I am always impressed with all that your family does.

Anonymous –   – (November 29, 2008 at 1:53 PM)  

looks like a wonderful celebration!

sarah  – (November 29, 2008 at 2:30 PM)  

I love the reverence with which the turkey is being taken out of the car :-)

Sarah  – (November 29, 2008 at 2:43 PM)  

Hi Tina-- We sprinkled a bit of water into the terrariums and then covered them with lids or plastic wrap so they have their own little bio-systems. They should live all winter--I assume the bits of moss on the bark will actually grow little bits of red through the winter.

Anonymous –   – (November 29, 2008 at 7:45 PM)  

Wow. The terrariums. I love that idea. They won't suffocate? I'm going to google terrariums now.

Lovely holiday. Lovely, lovely holiday. Thanksgiving has grown on my through the years. I used to not not understand the holiday - I mean, all you do is get together with family and eat. But now? It seems like the greatest holiday of all. The very greatest. H

Anonymous –   – (November 30, 2008 at 7:49 AM)  

Looks like a lovely Thanksgiving! I love the terrariums. Great idea for winter. Hels' bowl is amazing!!!

dawn klinge  – (November 30, 2008 at 10:57 AM)  

It was so nice to read about your Thanksgiving celebrations with your family. Like the other people who commented, I'm impressed with the terrariums. The chalk drawing looks so pretty on your blog banner.

kristin  – (November 30, 2008 at 4:19 PM)  

what a lovely thanksgiving tradition...it sounds so peaceful and relaxing...except for the sound of the "booms" of thunder hole dice :) we'll have to give that game a try. sounds fun

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment!

Tutorial: needle-felted figures

tutorial: Balloon Lanterns

tutorial: neede-felted advent spiral

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP