Wish, Wonder, and Surprise

Hels has just finished her creative writing block, Wish, Wonder, and Surprise. During this block they described what it was like to be surprised (after their teacher arrived at school dressed as a valley girl). They wrote descriptions of their favorite places. They studied and wrote haiku, limericks, and other forms of poetry. Here is a poem Hels wrote in the style of one of Emily Dickinson's.


It was once again the perfect block at the perfect time. The lessons and writings helped Hels' to notice her emotional life....she thought about wishes that can be almost a sort of prayer...she wondered at beauty...she gasped at surprise.

Lisa Anne  – (March 26, 2009 at 2:22 PM)  

Very nice poem Hels. I have been preparing to do this block but I am having a hard time to put it all together. I found a great article by Dorothy Harrer describing how she presented this block to her class and it has given me some ideas. I also have a book called Wish, Wonder, Surprise but it is only a collection of poems but no indications how to teach it. I am eager for Amelia to be home (this weekend) and can't decide which block to do next.

Sarah  – (March 26, 2009 at 2:44 PM)  

I'd consider waiting until it is a bit more beautiful in the woods. Hels spent a day writing a haiku about mud. She wasn't very excited :)

I think you should come to Massachusetts and do the block at Walden Pond or to Vermont and do it at the Robert Frost walk in Middlebury :)

Anonymous –   – (March 26, 2009 at 3:31 PM)  

Lovely and interesting poem. The lesson block sounds like a great idea, I might think about how I can bodge something like this together.

dawn klinge  – (March 26, 2009 at 7:04 PM)  

Hels has written such a beautiful poem. I've been amazed at how the lesson blocks have fit so well with my daughter's needs since we've been following the Waldorf scope and sequence of learning as well.

Growler  – (March 26, 2009 at 8:17 PM)  

I hardly ever comment here, but I check your blog every few days. It's really, truly one of my very favorite things. Thanks so very much for all of the love and attention you put into this.

Anonymous –   – (March 26, 2009 at 9:45 PM)  

Nice poem and I like the presentation. Is that pencil shading?

This may be a question with an obvious answer but do the girls go to a Waldorf school?

Lastly, I saw your comment at Fairy Mum about a friend's homemade shampoo. Does she have a shop? Have you tried it? I'm trying to cut down on washing and amount used. I would love to eliminate the bottles entirely but I am not willing to have straw like hair. My hair is already ugly enough. Thanks. I'll click follow up if you want to answer in the comments.

Anonymous –   – (March 26, 2009 at 10:32 PM)  

Your daughter is a poet.

Sarah  – (March 27, 2009 at 5:18 AM)  

Hi Nina,

Yes, both girls attend a Waldorf school (Lou in grade 4; Hels in grade 7).

My friend has a shop: http://www.thistlebathbody.com/soapofmonth.php

She has just started shampoos. The soaps are phenomenal. I have used her sampler shampoo but not long-term yet. She says they are all-natural and is supposed to be getting me an ingredient list. Once she does, I'll blog about it!

Anonymous –   – (March 27, 2009 at 12:59 PM)  

Thanks Sarah! I'll watch for a review.

I would lvoe for my kids to go to a Waldorf school but in this economy we are worried about spending money for private tuition. I do think my son would benefit from it very much and we have another year before he would start kindergarten.

Crescent Moon  – (March 28, 2009 at 9:41 AM)  

That is such a beautiful way of thinking about thunder! I really like the presentation, too, the shading that looks like a dark cloud.

colleen  – (March 30, 2009 at 10:57 AM)  

I wish we had that kind of class when I went to school. I think poetry awakens the soul and children are just waiting for opportunities to show that.

Anonymous –   – (May 2, 2009 at 4:02 PM)  

thanks all for the compliments on my poem!!
Hels

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment!

Tutorial: needle-felted figures

tutorial: Balloon Lanterns

tutorial: neede-felted advent spiral

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP