The beauty of language





The rich, beautiful language brought to the girls through the Waldorf curriculum is ringing through our house right now. Springtime is performance time.

Helen is performing in two plays this week. She is an extra in the 3rd grade's play about Moses and is Feste (the fool) in Shakespeare's Twelfth Night. She has rehearsals and performances every night this week.











Lou is Demeter in Demeter and Persephone which will be performed in May. She has a massive amount of lines and a solo.










The girls have been helping each other learn their lines. It is fun to watch them coach each other.

"For I am the mother of green leaves unfolding.
Golden wheat and red fruit grow ripe through my care."


"Daughter, beloved, remain in this grotto;
Await my return at the Sun's dying ray."

"Marry, sir, they praise me and make an ass of me;

Now my foes tell me plainly, I, am, an, ass."

"Marry sir, lullaby to your bounty till I come again."

Since they both have solos, they are also helping each other sing.

Oh mistress mine, where are you roaming?
Oh stay and hear your true loves coming,

Who can sing both high and low.

Trip no further, pretty sweeting:

Journeys end in lovers meeting,
Ev'ry wise man's son doth know.

Tammy  – (April 12, 2010 at 1:40 PM)  

Oh wonderful!!! What a fun treat you are in for. :)

Suse  – (April 13, 2010 at 8:56 PM)  

Oh, best of luck to Helen for this week! Feste is a fabulous role! When Son #1's class did Twelfth Night a couple of years ago, the girl who played Feste made me cry with pride, with her beautiful singing.

And coincidentally, my father is auditioning for the part of Malvolio in an upcoming production here. He asked me to send him a whole lot of academic articles on the play and the essay I wrote on it ... talk about serious preparation for a role!

Good luck to both your thespians.

x

Sarah  – (April 14, 2010 at 9:35 AM)  

Suse--Sometimes it is quite eerie how parallel our lives seem to be. I suppose it is having kids the same age in Waldorf.

Lovely World  – (April 17, 2010 at 8:38 PM)  

My daughter's 4th grade just performed Julius Caesar. They worked with professional actors from our local Shakespeare and Company down in Lenox, MA for 8 weeks. I was overwhelmed with how much the kids got out of the experience. Each child had a role (the roles were shared - all wore the same costume for continuity), and really put his or her heart into it. Just magical. I hope you enjoy your play watching as much as I did mine.

Susan –   – (April 24, 2010 at 9:18 AM)  

What fun! This post brought back so many memories of my own girlhood and the happy work of memorizing lines and practicing character roles.

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment!

Tutorial: needle-felted figures

tutorial: Balloon Lanterns

tutorial: neede-felted advent spiral

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP