Feeling Snug

Over the river and through the woods
To Grandmother's house we go.....

Thanksgiving is my favorite time of year. I love the family gatherings, the traditional foods, the long walks in the cool air. I love that it remains old fashioned and not merchandised.

It's a snug time of year and I grew up with a Mother who truly appreciated all that went into making a snug home and a Thanksgiving steeped in tradition. All through my childhood, my Mother was working on a piece of New England history that would change the way historians and students would interpret the New England home and family. This book is the result.

Her work has truly shaped what I have wanted for my own family--a home filled with traditions, handwork, and a yearly rhythm of foods and activities shaped by the New England seasons.

I carry with me her legacy of Thanksgiving celebrations--a day filled with family, tradition, and celebration of the bounty of this earth.

Happy Thanksgiving!

sarah  – (November 19, 2009 at 12:36 PM)  

wow, how lucky you were as a child! I think that kind of warmth and comfort is such a great gift to give to a child. Is your mother's book still in print?

Sarah  – (November 19, 2009 at 12:42 PM)  

Yes, it's still in print as it is used in a lot of college classes. Melissa used it for some of her books as well--I think perhaps the Caroline books.

Anonymous –   – (November 22, 2009 at 12:16 AM)  

Wow, how proud you must be of your mom!

Snug is such a great, meaningful word. With our new house, I hope to be snug. We're having people over for Thanksgiving for the first time ever, I think. I've been eyeing people's homes to see what makes some houses feel welcoming and...snug.

I'm taking a class on families and homemaking in medieval to early modern times next semester. Can't wait!

Anonymous –   – (November 22, 2009 at 8:58 AM)  

the anniversary of this good old Festival will ever be greeted with hearty welcome?

Anonymous –   – (November 22, 2009 at 11:08 AM)  

the funeral faced month of November...wear a garland of joy, and instead of associating the days of fog, like our English relations, with sadness, we hail them as the era of gladness and good living!

Sarah  – (November 22, 2009 at 1:07 PM)  

My brother is having fun finding crazy Thanksgiving quotes in my Mother's book and leaving them on my blog!

Unknown  – (November 23, 2009 at 1:27 PM)  

Just found your blog and I love it! I'll check in again soon... thanks for the posts!

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment!

Tutorial: needle-felted figures

tutorial: Balloon Lanterns

tutorial: neede-felted advent spiral

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP