Feeling Ahead of the Game

I spent the afternoon with my dear old sewing machine today. It was my Grandmother's. It has had a hard life, but while there are times I'd love a more modern machine, it still faithfully sews just about everything but denim.

Nels and I have given each other handmade gifts since the first Christmas we were married. The girls now join us in making gifts which we open on Christmas Eve. I am often the last person to be up late making gifts after helping everybody else.

Last winter I declared that I would not have another Christmas with Jane Austen where I was knitting at all hours. Happily, I have come up with ideas early this year and have the most complicated almost finished. I feel so ahead of the game!

I know I'll probably be madly making some cute little thing like these to peak out of the stockings, but at least the pressure is off and I can hunt about for something cute. Any ideas out there?

I think it can be hard to come up with handmade gift ideas for the holidays. I know I am always searching for ideas. I put a category in my sidebar called "Handmade Holidays" which links to all my posts about our handmade gifts. Scroll down to the labels section.

queen of the castle  – (November 15, 2009 at 5:38 PM)  

I would love to get back to more Waldorf style crafting. Trouble, is most projects boggle my mind. I can only do the easiest ones from Living Crafts. I will be looking forward to seeing what you choose!

Anonymous –   – (November 16, 2009 at 4:06 AM)  

Hi Sarah,

That sounds all very familiar.
In our house its almost the same story. We give each other a small handmade gift.
And I'm always looking for new ideas, every day of the year actually.
the boys once made keyringholder with a pompom ( don't know the right word in english, its a ball of wool) or simple dolls made of yarn out of the book Making gnomes by petra berger.

That 's a wonderful idea to put the links in your sidebar. Maybe I can do that to and you can put links of websites with tutorials as well.

Happy holiday crafting.

renee ~ heirloom seasons  – (November 17, 2009 at 12:21 AM)  

Lucky you. I am still just getting started, but at least I know what I'm doing. If I have any extra time I will probably end up doing some needle felting projects.

RunninL8  – (November 18, 2009 at 2:44 PM)  

join you in trying to get things done early this year! The last couple of years the month of dec. was spent scrambling to get all those handcrafted gifts and christmas cards made and we wound up missing out on a LOT of fun weekend parties, skiing, etc. So this year I have already started.
How wonderful that you still have your grandmother's sewing machine! I'm grateful to have my grandmother's sewing basket.

Suzanne  – (November 19, 2009 at 8:16 AM)  

Sarah you must visit Eli for a quick and easy Christmas mouse project--too cute! Her blog link is at my blog under Flutterby Patch. She has gorgeous patterns for sale of dollies too but the mouse is simply Chrismtas to me:-) I am thinking of knittingit and giving my daughter an old copy of The Church Mice series.

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment!

Tutorial: needle-felted figures

tutorial: Balloon Lanterns

tutorial: neede-felted advent spiral

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP