My Christmas with Jane Austen

For some reason, I decided to knit all our family gifts this year. I must confess that I get a bit bored while knitting and like to watch movies to make the time go faster. I can read while knitting, but things slow down and at this time of the year, time is in short supply.


Now I have to confess that I've never really gotten in to Jane Austen, but I got The Jane Austen Book Club off Netflix and then loaded up my queue with all things Jane.

I've been spending almost every morning before the family gets up knitting in my chair and watching Jane Austen movies. Sense & Sensibility took me almost all the way through one gift. Becoming Jane topped it off and got me onto the next gift. Pride & Prejudice is sitting on the counter for this week of early morning knitting. So....thanks Jane for helping me get my Christmas gifting finished. It has been a delight!

Anonymous –   – (December 16, 2008 at 7:35 AM)  

Oh, what fun! I've had a knitting frenzy here, too. I can't read or speak or watch tv while I knit, thought. Music, I can sort of handle....
I can't walk and chew gum, either! :o)
Looking forward to the photos once the proud owners have opened their gifts!

Anonymous –   – (December 16, 2008 at 9:06 AM)  

I LOVE Jane and the accompanying movies! I have to say, the new P&P is SO good! I think it's one of my all-time favorites, and this is coming from a pretty die-hard fan of the 6 hour BBC version with Colin Firth. I also just watched the new Masterpiece Theatre version of Persuasion, which I highly recommend. I occaisionally go through Jane Austen movie blitzes, and the funny thing is they kind of all blend together--major plot similarities! But she's great, so just roll with it! Happy knitting...

Anonymous –   – (December 16, 2008 at 10:25 AM)  

You are saving the best for last. :>

Jennifer  – (December 16, 2008 at 10:50 AM)  

Oh, how I love Jane, and knitting. I hadn't thought about watching my movies in the wee hours, and now that you mention it... it might come in handy this coming week!
the BBC P&P is my all time favorite... though I adore becoming jane as well.
Enjoy! - and can't wait to see reveals of the knitted gifts!

Mrs. Darling  – (December 16, 2008 at 12:48 PM)  

I wish I knew how to knit. sigh What a lovely way to spend your days; knitting and a movie. It sounds so relaxing!

queen of the castle  – (December 16, 2008 at 2:39 PM)  

Oh, Sarah, I have them all. The books and the DVDs. About the only one I don't care for is Northanger Abbey! I have actually had to try NOT to be obsessed with Austen. I close second is A Girl of the Limberlost - I swear that Stratton Porter must have been a Jane fan.

Now I must try knitting and watching. Maybe then I can finish the scarf I started for my son!

Mary Corbet  – (December 16, 2008 at 3:21 PM)  

Oh, if you like Jane Austen and watching movies, you absolutely must see the A&E Pride and Prejudice with Colin Firth and Jennifer Ehle (done in 1996). It's by far the best rendition, and true to the book!

I don't know what I like best, doing needlework and watching a movie, or doing needlework and listening to a Really Good Audiobook....

Enjoy your knitting and your movies!

Sarah  – (December 16, 2008 at 6:00 PM)  

Thanks for all the great comments! I am going to put the 6 hour BBC version of P&P into my queue because Martha has turned me on to yet another knitting project.....

Jessica  – (December 16, 2008 at 8:48 PM)  

I really enjoyed the Jane Austen book club...and it made me want to see all the movies and at least make a real good attempt to read one of her books. I think that is one of my goals for February break.

Anonymous –   – (December 16, 2008 at 9:49 PM)  

Today is Jane Austen's birthday! What a timely post.

Sarah  – (December 17, 2008 at 6:05 AM)  

Jessica--it was "the Jane Austen Book Club" that got me going too!

Lisa Anne  – (December 17, 2008 at 8:31 AM)  

I did a Jane Austin fest a while back to finish some projects. I am struggling to find some good movies to knit by lately. Jerome doesn't understand my need to have a movie on while I knit-he likes to listen to music at night but that doesn't really get me going...I get bored really quick. I have been listening to some books on tapes and reading while knitting lately but it DOES really slow things down. Happy knitting!

denise  – (December 17, 2008 at 11:06 AM)  

I do love Austen more at this time of year - something about dark and cold and I just love it for my late night reading. :)

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment!

Tutorial: needle-felted figures

tutorial: Balloon Lanterns

tutorial: neede-felted advent spiral

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP