Spring Cleaning

We've had a weekend of spring cleaning.

Nels built some shelves for a craft closet (!) and cleaned out downed limbs in the woods. This turkey popped in to see what was up.


Hels washed windows, cleaned their bathroom, and scrubbed the appliances.


Lou made us dinner--stuffed shells and chocolate chip cookies--and ironed shirts.


I washed floors, woodwork, and everything in between. I used my favorite new "green" mopping system which is vinegar/water in a good spray bottle, a rag, and a dutch rubber broom.


Goodbye old mop. I no longer have a mop graveyard in the basement--all those busted mops are at the metal recycling. Now I just toss the rag in the wash and don't worry about stinky sponges that never seem to get clean. The floors now feel heavenly on bare feet.

I ran out of vinegar this winter and turned to some old cleaning supplies such as "Mr. Clean" and Windex for a few weeks. I was reminded that things seem much cleaner with vinegar. I now have a jug of vinegar and spray bottles under every sink.

Although it is still quite cool and the leaves aren't even out yet, it seemed safe enough to swap out the down jackets and snow pants for the rain jackets and crocs.

sarah  – (May 3, 2009 at 4:20 PM)  

There's really nothing more wonderful than a good spring cleaning.

Tammy  – (May 3, 2009 at 4:41 PM)  

Can Lou come cook for me pretty please?? Stuffed shells and chocolate chip cookies sounds to-die-for. Please pass on my kudos to her, I bet it was a delish meal!

Mama Randa Morning Glory  – (May 3, 2009 at 4:54 PM)  

what ratio of vinegar and water do you use? I tried making my own solution recently with less than half vinegar and the smell was still unbearable.

Sarah  – (May 3, 2009 at 5:27 PM)  

I use about 1 part vinegar to 3 parts water. The smell usually goes away as the solution dries. I've grown to prefer the smell to chemicals.

Anonymous –   – (May 3, 2009 at 5:33 PM)  

Love the turkey!!!
Thus far, Spring cleaning seems to have eluded me...
Alas...

* *  – (May 3, 2009 at 5:33 PM)  

Is the vinegar/water spray and mop safe for wood floors? Thanks! : )

Maribeth  – (May 3, 2009 at 6:47 PM)  

I am so motivated in my own spring cleaning. I just need Lou to cook dinner!

Lisa Anne  – (May 3, 2009 at 8:32 PM)  

Alas, I am out in the gardens too much this time of the year to be cleaning very much. I try to save Sunday mornings to deep clean, but have been too tired.

Crescent Moon  – (May 4, 2009 at 7:11 AM)  

That's a great turkey picture!
I need to do some serious Spring cleaning. I miss the days when my daughters were younger and would secretly clean when I was busy, and then tell me that the cleaning fairies had been there.

dawn klinge  – (May 4, 2009 at 9:45 AM)  

I keep hearing about how great those dutch mops are...I'd love to get one. How nice that everyone in your family pitched in with the cleaning and cooking!

Angela  – (May 4, 2009 at 11:18 AM)  

Thanks for sharing this. I have been wanting ot make the switch to more healthful cleaners, and have used vinegar water on windows & counters for years. It didin't even dawn on me that it would work for wood floors!

RunninL8  – (May 7, 2009 at 11:47 AM)  

Ok, Ok.....Ugh...I need to get on it!

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment!

Tutorial: needle-felted figures

tutorial: Balloon Lanterns

tutorial: neede-felted advent spiral

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP