A Song of Spring

This weekend was a song for spring. It began with the girls' spring concert Friday night. Here is Hels walking up to the church for the performance. The capstone of the evening was Vivaldi's Spring. It was truly glorious--the best children's concert I have ever heard--and I left so grateful for the musical education my girls are having. The girls were so proud.


Since I was a child, Mother's day has always been about the garden. We always gave my Mother a big hanging plant. My weekend was filled with thoughtful garden gifts from my family. Lou brought me a refreshing strawberry/mint drink in a champagne flute as I weeded my perennial garden.


Nels dug up a new garden bed and placed this stone at the end. We then headed off to a beautiful little farm in a deep valley that sold $3 perennials--all divided from her very old garden beds. We got forsythia, strawberries, and some other beauties.

I had been wanting to create a shade garden in a corner of our house. Hels helped me transplant ferns, solomon's seal, violets, and lilies of the valley. I hope some of it lives--the ferns are looking a little shocked.


Dinner included fiddleheads (which the girls doused with hollandaise). I like this little bit of ephemeral food--we talked about other little ephemeral spring creatures we had seen and heard throughout the day including the peepers, a little snail leaving a silver streak across the drive, and the red-spotted newt who I discovered deep in the earth.

From Vivaldi to new gardens to ephemerals in the woods. This weekend was more than a song of spring--it was an orchestral suite.

dawn klinge  – (May 11, 2009 at 2:56 PM)  

I'm glad you had such a wonderful weekend. It does sound so lovely.

Lisa Anne  – (May 12, 2009 at 6:45 AM)  

Happy Gardening! What a lovely weekend, I always think you have the best weekends. The fiddleheads look so tender and tasty, I never know which are the right ones to eat, we have so many different ferns here.

We received your package! Thank you!

The Magic Onions  – (May 12, 2009 at 10:24 AM)  

Delicious looking greens! Spring is just the best!

Sue  – (May 12, 2009 at 11:23 AM)  

Your Mother's Day weekend sounds lovely and magical, filled with peace and all of the happy fleeting goodness of spring. I loved reading about it and loved seeing your garden.

Angela  – (May 12, 2009 at 6:11 PM)  

HOw wonderful! We have always had a Mother's Day gardening tradition too. There is nothing like getting your hands in the soil with your family by your side.
I'm sad thatthis year we had to bypass due to the amount of time other activites were taking (as you read on my blog). I so missed it. I can't wait to get out there in the garden when we get back from our trip.

Crescent Moon  – (May 12, 2009 at 6:37 PM)  

It sounds like you had a wonderful Mother's Day. I'm so impressed with the variety of talents and interests your daughters have!

woolladyfelter  – (May 13, 2009 at 1:48 PM)  

Fiddle head ferns - Yum - I think I will go get some for tonights dinner!

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment!

Tutorial: needle-felted figures

tutorial: Balloon Lanterns

tutorial: neede-felted advent spiral

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP