Lantern Walk Songs


Last year for Martinmas, I posted about how to make balloon lanterns. From that post came many requests for Lantern Walk songs as some of you are beginning to make plans. Here are my two favorite. The girls really love to sing this song:


This is the song I love the most:


There is a final Lantern Walk song that is easy for young children, but I don't have the music. The lyrics are:

I walk with my little lantern,
my lantern walks with me.
Above the stars are shining
on earth are shining we.

Oh lantern light
you shine so bright.
Oh hear the angels sing.
Oh hear the angels sing.

As the little children walk, they raise their lanterns to the sky for "Above the stars are shining" -- so very sweet. Perhaps one of you has the music?

I really love Martinmas and the gestures of giving that it brings after Halloween's gesture of taking. Enjoy the songs!

kristin  – (October 24, 2008 at 5:37 PM)  

thanks Sarah...I kind of feel like this post is just for me :)

The first two songs are beautiful and new to me...the last one sounds similar to the tradtional one for small children that I have learned. I don't speak German, but think the following link could be the music for the "I walk with my little lantern" song http://www.mamalisa.com/?t=em&p=1296&c=38

thanks again...oh! and i love your chinese lanterns.

dawn klinge  – (October 24, 2008 at 6:49 PM)  

Those balloon lanterns are great! This is the first year that we will be celebrating Martinmas....I didn't know about it before, and I'm looking forward to it. Thanks for sharing the songs.

Sarah  – (October 24, 2008 at 7:01 PM)  

Kristin--that music is pretty close to how we sing "I walk with my little lantern." Thanks!

Anonymous –   – (October 24, 2008 at 7:11 PM)  

You are so awesome to have posted this so early (in time to learn the songs before Nov. 11th)!

Anonymous –   – (October 24, 2008 at 9:33 PM)  

This will be our first year celebrating Martinmas.
We have a lantern walk planned and are so very excited about it! Thank you for posting these beautiful songs and the how to for the lanterns! : )

Anonymous –   – (October 24, 2008 at 9:44 PM)  

We like to sing "This little light of mine" too.

A friend of mine once wrote this little song:

Walking with my lantern
Into the night,
Chasing away the shadows
With light.
Within...within...
My light will never dim.

I'll have to ask her if I can post the music for it, it's really beautiful.

denise  – (October 25, 2008 at 12:45 AM)  

Oh, we love making lanterns! We have made some cool canning jar tissue paper lanterns...balloon lanterns sound very interesting. And the songs...wonderful! :)

Suzanne  – (October 25, 2008 at 8:48 AM)  

Thanks for reminding me of those songs and I love your lanterns:-)

Tammy  – (October 25, 2008 at 11:35 AM)  

We are looking forward to Martinmas. My friend Melisa and I are getting ready to make some new lanterns with our children, also.

Thanks for sharing the lantern walk songs, by the way. :)

Jennifer Gregory Miller  – (November 6, 2008 at 11:14 AM)  

I found your blog searching for a translation of Sankt Martin song. I noticed your old blog post had different English words than the .pdf you posted. Are the translations yours? We're having a Martinmas get together and want to learn the song with English words.

Sarah  – (November 6, 2008 at 11:26 AM)  

Hi Jenn,

The words from the first post are as how my children sang it to me. The words here are from a piece of music I found at school. Personally, I like the way my girls sing it. The tune should be the same.

Jennifer Gregory Miller  – (November 6, 2008 at 11:29 AM)  

Thank you. I think I like the first version better, too. I tried singing the translation from http://www.mamalisa.com/?t=es&p=1306&c=38 and it just doesn't flow nicely at all. Very awkward!

Thanks so much for posting both the words and music!

Anonymous –   – (November 16, 2008 at 8:02 AM)  

Hi,

I'm German and I recognized the song instantly! In German it's "Ich geh mit meiner Laterne". It's my favorite one, too!

I have link (German version). Hope it works!

http://www.kidsweb.at/radio_gibo/index.php?id=16

Alyss  – (November 11, 2011 at 2:34 AM)  

I linked to this post in my own Martinmas post this year. Thank you for writing, and thank you for keeping it all up as a resource for us. Happy Martinmas!

http://thewheelandthedisk.blogspot.com/2011/11/nurturing-warmth-at-martinmas.html

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment!

Tutorial: needle-felted figures

tutorial: Balloon Lanterns

tutorial: neede-felted advent spiral

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP