Hats and Pom Poms

Betsy has been keeping us company for the past couple of days. This wonderful story is about a little girl who moves from the city to Vermont to stay with her cousins. She discovers all sorts of things about herself and is transformed into a happy, capable child. It's a great story for a 9 year old. I got this book on tape from Chinaberry years ago. We've all been transported back to the days of one-room-schools in Vermont.

My girls like to listen to books on tape while crafting. While listening to Betsy, Hels has been CHURNING out little hats of her own design. Each one is getting just a bit bigger. Today I'm going to show her how to use round knitting needles so there isn't a seam. She's enjoying the challenge of figuring out her own designs and, all on her own, figured out that she should decrease gradually rather than just gathering up her rectangle.

Lou has been making pom poms. She got inspired after Hels made the pom pom on this little hat. There's something very fun about making pom poms. Both girls used to make these in kindergarten. The teacher would put out baskets of seasonally appropriate colors and the kids would go at it. Pom poms are a good project for early fine motor skills and getting used to yarn.

I've never quite known what to do with lots of pom poms. I guess they are an easy way to learn juggling. They can go on a zipper of a coat. They can be strung together into a boa-like scarf, but, mainly they are just fun to make!

Juli  – (October 26, 2008 at 8:39 AM)  

I have a nine year old little girl and as soon as I saw this post I just had to check to see if my library had the book. It did and I immediately put it on hold! We're still working on the knitting. Right now we've been making hats with the Knifty Knitting Hoops. I did put some knitting books on hold to see if I can teach myself and my daughters, though.

Susan  – (October 26, 2008 at 9:06 AM)  

Pom poms are the ultimate cat toy! If you're not sure what to do with surplus poms, an animal shelter will surely welcome them:-)

I loved Understood Betsy as a child. It's a shame my girls don't understand English (that well) as books like these are rarely translated...

Anonymous –   – (October 26, 2008 at 9:37 AM)  

Hello. I'm a new reader and enjoy your blog. I found you last week, but I don't remember from whom? Anyway, I'm definitely in the pom pom mood now. I just looked at the book, Craftivity the other day - you could work yourself up to the rug show in this post - http://apronthriftgirl.typepad.com/apron_thrift_girl/2006/09/craftivity_anyo.html

Anonymous –   – (October 26, 2008 at 10:08 AM)  

Ahhh... pompoms...My kids made them in the Waldorf kindergarten, of the huge variety. So we also have those. They are great for shade pulls, for decorating ceiling fan pulls, or string them together to make a garland for the mantle, wrap around a holiday tree, put in a wreath on the door, string them with jingle bells to make seasonally cheerful doorknob decoration....Love the pom pom!

dawn klinge  – (October 26, 2008 at 10:51 AM)  

I loved reading Understood Betsy with my daughter. You've got me thinking about trying to make pom poms with my son....I wonder if he could make those yet? We'll give it a shot.

Tammy  – (October 26, 2008 at 11:13 AM)  

I love Susan's idea of donating them to an animal shelter. Or even the pound for the kitties there?

Emily loved Understood Betsy, but I don't think the K's have read it. I'll have to see if the library still has a copy.

Oh, and knitting and pom poms, good for your girls!!!! Once again, my daughter Emily is going to cast me on and try to teach me to knit. lol. We'll see. :)

Cadi  – (October 26, 2008 at 12:45 PM)  

I just love your posts and blog in general! Thank you so much for sharing all the treasures you share! You have a beautiful family!

Anonymous –   – (October 26, 2008 at 2:46 PM)  

Those are sweet little hats! I have a pompom form but haven't used it yet...maybe you've inspired me.

As I read and write this I'm making black pipe cleaner spider legs while the kids paint their egg carton cups. Seems like a crafty day!

Anonymous –   – (October 26, 2008 at 10:13 PM)  

When I was your daughter's ages, I would make pompoms and then with felt and pipecleaners, make them into litte animals!

Now I want to find Understood Betsy and read it again!

Anonymous –   – (October 27, 2008 at 2:58 PM)  

If you look through some library books about Tasha Tudor you can see the rabbits and owls that she made out of pom poms. The book "Tasha Tudor's Old-Fashioned gifts" has directions for making a pom pom rabbit. I got a good condition used copy from Amazon.com. It has a lot of nice crafts with full directions.

I too loved the "Little House" books when I was growing up. The books DO make you feel very cozy.

Mary

Sarah  – (October 27, 2008 at 4:32 PM)  

Thanks for all the pom pom ideas. I love the pom pom rug and I'm going to check out the Tasha Tudor book.

My living room is covered with the remains of "pom pom haircuts" and scraps of cardboard from making the pom pom frames. WHAT A MESS.

Mrs. Darling  – (October 28, 2008 at 6:06 PM)  

This is the second post Ive read today that speaks of the joys of listening to books on tape. I really must start incorporating this into the kids lives. I have a struggling reader and it would be so good for her.

By the way I found your blog through my google feed. It was recommended by google as one that I would like based on my other blogs I visit. They were right. I do love your blog!

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment!

Tutorial: needle-felted figures

tutorial: Balloon Lanterns

tutorial: neede-felted advent spiral

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP