Inspiring each other


It is a cool, cloudy day today. This afternoon we settled onto the porch to listen to Harry Potter and do some journaling. Lou chose to copy some poems from her flower fairies book using gel pens which provide a satisfying array of color. She's just discovering poetry and loving it.



Hels chose to devote one section of her journal to photos of her friends. She's using scissors, glue, and gel pens.










I chose to sketch a couple of the birds that have been enjoying our bird feeder. I have never considered myself an artist and, in fact, am pretty insecure about it. My joining in inspires the children. They have no idea that they are inspiring me and stretching me to do something I would not have tried otherwise. It's one of those perks of parenthood that I love--trying new things with no judgement!


I use watercolor pencils and gel pens. I like the rich colors of Lyra's Aquarell pencils.


I love how my little sketch can turn into something that looks painted by using these pencils. My favorite journaling toy is the Niji Waterbrush. This is a little tube of water with a fine brush on the end. It lets out just enough water to turn the penciling into watercolor without having paint dribble everywhere. It's as fun as those old paint by water books we could get back when we were kids.


So, we sat on the porch today, inspiring each other. It's now chilly enough for wool socks, the birds are getting quiet, and the wind is picking up. Me thinks it's time for a bit more rain!

About the green man...Lou chose the number 4--which is Dawn! Please send me your address and we'll send him to you this week.

Anonymous –   – (June 16, 2008 at 5:35 PM)  

What a lovely porch day you had, I love your journals.

Its very chilly here to, we have a lot of rain, lightings and thunderstorms. I hope the weather will change by sunday, for Linde's blessing.

Tara  – (June 16, 2008 at 8:16 PM)  

We love, love, love our Lyra pencils. A little more, but truly worth the investment. They're like butter...

dawn klinge  – (June 16, 2008 at 8:51 PM)  

I couldn't agree with you more about one of the perks of being a parent being able to try new things without judgment. I really want to try those watercolor pencils now.
I'm so excited about the green man- and so are my kids! Thank you :)

sarah  – (June 16, 2008 at 9:03 PM)  

How lovely. What beautiful journals.

denise  – (June 16, 2008 at 9:08 PM)  

Lyra pencils are nice. I love the vibrant colors. It is fun to have time and freedom to try new things and experiment along with the kids. Definitely a perk!

Chilly here today too - but (thankfully) no rain today.

Anonymous –   – (June 17, 2008 at 11:41 AM)  

My kids just made watercolor drawings with their chunky Stabilo pencils last night...but I forgot about those water pens. Maybe a little too fine for my little ones, but good for me :)

I think your drawings were wonderful! I know it's hard to be confident when it hasn't been your "thing" to be an artist, but as I tell my kids, you'll never get better unless you do it! So have fun with it.

I just found some poetry for children books at Barnes and Noble the other day...each volume is a picture book with works by one poet. We looked at the one about Walt Whitman, and it had a good variety of his works alongside nice watercolors.

Lisa  – (June 17, 2008 at 5:43 PM)  

Funnily enough we're listening/reading HP again over here. We love our Lyra pencils!

Lisa Anne  – (June 17, 2008 at 9:24 PM)  

Thanks for sharing what you are putting into those beautiful journals you made. Amelia has been using those water color pencils lately in her nature writing, she really likes them. I barely have time to brush my teeth because of this farm, I am really missing creative time. Pulling weeds can be creative, right....?

RunninL8  – (June 18, 2008 at 11:05 AM)  

What a beautiful way for a family to spend time together! Thank you for inspiring me.
I love those Lyra pencils. i have never heard of the watercolor pen! That is such a cool thing-I'm dying to get one now!

woolladyfelter  – (June 18, 2008 at 12:54 PM)  

What great journals. I have bound a few books in my past - I never thought to teach my kids - silly me! Beautiful work.

Angela  – (June 18, 2008 at 9:06 PM)  

What a wonderful blog- This is my first stop, but I am your neighbor in NH! You have some fabulous ideas and I love history as well- so I am excited to jump back here!

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment!

Tutorial: needle-felted figures

tutorial: Balloon Lanterns

tutorial: neede-felted advent spiral

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP