A day in my life

It's June 14th. I find it hard to believe that it has been a month since I last posted A day in my life. Time certainly has flown by.

I woke today at 5:45--a little later than normal. Went out on the porch with my coffee to enjoy the quiet morning. It is balloon festival weekend, so I watched for balloons rising in the hills--only saw one. Balloons, coffee, a gentle breeze, the birds = beginning of a nice day.

8:00 a.m.--drove Hels over to the school to meet her friends. They were all heading to the seacoast for a day at the beach and a celebration of her friend's 13th birthday.

9:00--after helping arrange kids and gear (9 in three cars!), I headed off to the grocery store. I got waylaid by yard sales which I just can't resist. Today I hit a good one and scored a fish tank (for tadpoles and monarchs), a Scrabble game, and an Audubon guide to the eastern woodlands. Total cost? $3.50. I was just giddy after that. I LOVE YARD SALES!!



10:00--got to our grocery store and managed to remember my various tote bags which is a great feat. So far? Perfect day.

11:00--as I came out of the grocery store I ran into my co-worker and a friend who gave me some good news about work. Long story--the national director of my grant program popped a surprise visit this week. Being the small world that Vermont is, he went into a used book store....owned by the wife of my co-worker....and was overheard raving about the work we've been doing. So far? An even more perfect day.

Lunchtime--played a long game of Scrabble on the porch with Lou and Nels.

2:00--headed into town to buy dog food (oops). Nels, Lou, and I stopped by the book store for a long browse of books and iced coffee drinks. I needed a day of no chores--it's been a rough week even if we did get to spend a day making books.

5:30--walked down to the neighbors to feed their chickens, baby chicks, cats, and rats (why a child would want big rats in her bedroom is beyond me).

6:00--back on the porch. Lou is coloring, Nels is reading, I'm blogging. There's a gentle thunderstorm rumbling about and rain falling all around. Wine in hand. A beautiful end to a day that just unfolded in a really nice way.

ps: I realize I haven't chosen the winner for the green man yet. I'll do it tomorrow!

Anonymous –   – (June 14, 2008 at 7:25 PM)  

What a great day! Great bargains, kudos about work, and a peaceful evening.

The thunderstorms here this evening have been anything but peaceful. We happened to be reading Robert McCloskey's Time of Wonder, which features a hurricane, right during the thick of it. I think it helped the kids relax!

dawn klinge  – (June 15, 2008 at 1:39 AM)  

That does sound like a great day. Isn't that the best kind of "gossip" to hear about...when you find out good things are being said about you!

Lisa  – (June 15, 2008 at 4:54 AM)  

I wish we had yard sales in the UK! Looks like you had a busy day.

Lisa Anne  – (June 15, 2008 at 8:05 AM)  

"A day of no chores" sounds great. What a nice relaxing family day. Good scores at the garage sale, Amelia has been wanting a big tank to make a big terrarium, I will have to pay more attention to garage sales.

Tara  – (June 15, 2008 at 4:18 PM)  

Oh, that does sound relaxing. I'm glad you had a good day!

Dulce Domum  – (June 16, 2008 at 3:41 AM)  

My whole family has the garage sale (we call them car boot sales in the UK) bug. I love the way you can always predict what may be there...always old games of "Mousetrap"... but there is often a really great surprise find as well. Your day sound nice!

woolladyfelter  – (June 18, 2008 at 12:58 PM)  

Lovely day - I'm a yardsale lover too!

Jinx  – (June 20, 2008 at 9:05 PM)  

I just stumbled onto your blog today, while surfing looking to see if anyone else had a blog about their house (our house).. It blows my mind to read your entries where your moments are much like ours. example- walking out to the porch with a cup of coffee and watching the balloons float by. We have done the exact same thing- just several states away, in the same house. Wow. I am going to read more,,

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment!

Tutorial: needle-felted figures

tutorial: Balloon Lanterns

tutorial: neede-felted advent spiral

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP