3 1/2 More Days...

...until summer vacation. This fills me both with excitement for projects and trips as well as shear panic. June is one of my busy months for work. All my finances close down and I have a summer institute for teachers to lead. The prospect of the kids being home right when I need to be glued to my computer always feels daunting.


What are they going to do all day?
How am I going to get my work done?
How am I going to keep them active and not media sloths?

My friend and I have a last day of school tradition. She, too, works at home so we half-jokingly email each other all day--"only 5 hours to work left!" "only 2 hours left!"

A slightly different perspective from Cadi!

I realize that part of my sense of unease is that the end of school brings a huge change of rhythm to the family. It is up to me to set a new rhythm that works for us all. It will come, and slowly we will sink into the long days of summer in a good way. First, though, we have a bit of transition to go through!

Cadi  – (June 3, 2008 at 7:57 AM)  

That *is* a different perspective. :-) It was a nice read. Thanks. I always enjoy reading your posts, although I don't always comment.

I haven't had an easy year in some regards, although my 5th grade evaluation was certainly a very positive highlight.

I will have my children at home, too, and needing to prepare for 6th grade, but overall it will be a much more mellow time.

Sounds like you need a drink, too! :-) (Just kidding)

Blessings,
Cadi

Tara  – (June 3, 2008 at 9:03 AM)  

I'm with you on this one. I need to wake up earlier and become more disciplined about getting right to work and getting my projects done. It's probably better for me in the long run, but the adjustment process can be a little hairy. And I usually have to summon up some extra energy to deal with the computer/TV issue. Fortunately Tess has a part time babysitting job over the summer. I hope it will help her days have more focus.

Teaching Handwork  – (June 3, 2008 at 9:06 AM)  

I have been on both sides :)

and I, like Cadi, really got into counting the days till I could relax and spend lazy days with my kids...sleep in etc.

enjoy your last few quiet work days :)

Lisa [strickerin]  – (June 3, 2008 at 11:08 AM)  

Oh I feel the same about the adjustment from school term to vacation rhythm.

I hope it is a smooth transition for you this summer.

dawn klinge  – (June 3, 2008 at 11:09 AM)  

I think what you said about it being up to you to establish a new rhythm for the summer is key. I need to get busy figuring out what our summer rhythm will look like. It does take some adjusting when summer comes. I home school my kids but it's still very different for us during the summer.

Anonymous –   – (June 3, 2008 at 2:51 PM)  

I hear you! We're having so much turmoil in the rhythm department right now: possibly moving out of state by the end of the summer, deciding not to enroll in the local Waldorf school, still not sure about the summer day camp, etc. But I know it will work out somehow, just as it will for you.

sarah  – (June 3, 2008 at 4:38 PM)  

That's what it's like at our house all the time. I guess you could say we have twelve months of summer!

Teaching Handwork  – (June 3, 2008 at 8:43 PM)  

what is the gold leaf you were talking about...can see a picture of that? I want to do that with the 7th grade...I just need to see it....:)

Lisa Anne  – (June 3, 2008 at 9:36 PM)  

I hope you have a smooth transition into summer. We are looking forward to taking a break from homeschooling. summer is our busiest time and it will be nice not to worry about school on top of everything else. Amelia says she becomes an orphan in the summer because I am always working. I start chores at 6am and often only come in quickly to grab a bite to eat, I usually come inside around 9pm. I stock the freezer with frozen fruit for smoothies and lots of veggies cut up so she can make nori rolls easily. I try to avoid having her cook because even though she cleans up after herself, there is always a bit of a mess for me to deal with later.

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment!

Tutorial: needle-felted figures

tutorial: Balloon Lanterns

tutorial: neede-felted advent spiral

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP