A Little More Crafting


What to do when panicking over work? Craft of course. We've all been busy preparing year-end gifts for the teachers. Lou made this sweet card for her teacher.











Hels made this jester for her teacher as a thank you for the wonderful Medieval Studies block they had this year.











The parents of the 3rd grade each donated money toward the making of this music stand which Nels made in the evenings last week. I can't wait to give it to her!








And me? Well, I let my blogiversary (is that really a word?) slip by a couple of weeks ago. I can't believe it has been over a year now since I began this little blog. The blog has impacted our family life in so many ways. Nels and I both feel like the blog has made us just a bit more conscious of the "whys" of what we do. We talk more about our parenting and the philosophy behind it. I feel like I seek the fun and good in our days a bit more (which is good being the melancholic that I am). I'm really happy to have a chronicle of our days and I know my family does as well.

And last but not least, coming into communication with so many of you bloggers has been fun and heartwarming. I have enjoyed the conversations, the sharing of ideas, and exchanges of books and crafts around the world. I have been inspired by you all in so many ways.


So, in great thanks, I leave a gift. This little fern-like man is waiting for a new home. He is made from Simmy's plant-dyed Cotswold fleece. I confess I've been nervous about sharing him. I haven't done a lot of needle-felting in the past few months and I feel like I've lost a bit of my needle-felting know-how. Leave a comment by Friday and we'll pick one person randomly over the weekend.

Now I'm off to today's school event--a house-warming party for the tree house Lou's class just finished as part of their "Shelter" block.

Anonymous –   – (June 4, 2008 at 8:26 AM)  

What a talented family! Looks like your needle felting skills are intact!

I like that about blogging too, that it can help me be a little more reflective about life.

Tara  – (June 4, 2008 at 9:08 AM)  

Your blog is a wonderful place to visit. I'm glad you keep it!
And I never fail to be thoroughly impressed by the learning you describe at your Waldorf School. It really sounds like a most amazing place.

Suzanne  – (June 4, 2008 at 9:33 AM)  

Have great fun and that music stand is just gorgeous!

dawn klinge  – (June 4, 2008 at 10:08 AM)  

I'm so glad you keep this blog as well. You have inspired me countless times to try new ideas that have benefited my life. I'm impressed by those crafts. Those will be some lucky teachers to receive them.

Anonymous –   – (June 4, 2008 at 10:30 AM)  

I am so glad I discovered your blog. It is one of the highlights in my work day to read it. Especially love reading about the Waldorf schooling and the crafting you all so. Thank you!

Lisa Anne  – (June 4, 2008 at 11:38 AM)  

I love stopping by, thanks for sharing your simple and beautiful life with your family in Vermont.

It is nice to blog, to be reminded of the good things in life. Blogging has really helped me to connect with other like minded people while living so isolated. I have been reflecting about this, and realized how blogging really helped me get through the loneliness of this winter, and now I have met all these great people that I have to check in with regularly. It is a lot like the community of mothers I had at our Former Waldorf School. It has been an interesting phenomena.

castelane  – (June 4, 2008 at 4:19 PM)  

I love needle felting! Your family seems to have the knack for it. I love the jester. I have a home movie up on my site of my daughter and I making a needle felted sheep, to go with my book Rainbow Sheep which I illustrated with needle-felt pictures.

I invite anyone who is interested in this unique craft to check out the video at http://www.kimchatel.com/Felt_Movie.html

sarah  – (June 4, 2008 at 5:02 PM)  

All so beautiful. I love your weblog, it is such a peaceful and inspiring place to visit.

Lisa  – (June 4, 2008 at 5:52 PM)  

Wow, look at all that craftwork, well done. Blogs do help you reflect on life and boy are they good for geography!

Cadi  – (June 4, 2008 at 9:10 PM)  
This comment has been removed by the author.
Cadi  – (June 4, 2008 at 9:16 PM)  
This comment has been removed by the author.
Cadi  – (June 4, 2008 at 9:24 PM)  

Okay. ONE MORE TRY... :-)

So, the music stand is just such a beautiful piece of art! The lil' green man in the ferns is so adorable, and the thank-yous your girls crafted for their teachers are so sweet!

Yours,
Another melancholic

~ Hoping this comment goes through.
~ Hoping there are no spellos this time. My brain is fried. It's the rain, reign, rein effect. :-)

Anonymous –   – (June 5, 2008 at 4:04 AM)  

Hi, its always nice to stop by your blog. I love reading your stories and your crafts always want to get my started right away, you inspire me in so many ways, thank you for this beautiful blogspace.

For us blogging also made lovely changes and also for my boys, the bookswap was such a wonderfull experience for them (and for me too).

Hope you can find some piece in this busy June month. At least you have your teachers gift all ready to give, we have to get started.

XXX

TheSingingBird  – (June 5, 2008 at 10:38 AM)  

So nice to meet you in blog-land. :) I appreciate the comment you left and have enjoyed reading your posts here. I think your needlefelting is sweet and the music stand is really beautiful. I'll come back and visit again.

-Becky :)

RunninL8  – (June 5, 2008 at 10:56 AM)  

DON'T PICK ME!!! I just found your blog so I don't qualify as a loyal reader yet! Maybe next year!
Just wanted to say hello from alaska! Very cute gifts for the teachers-they are very fortunate!

Cadi  – (June 5, 2008 at 7:59 PM)  

FOUR more HOURS! :-) :-) :-)

Jenny  – (June 6, 2008 at 2:24 AM)  

Congratulations on your anniversary.I think your little green man looks just perfect under the tree. Happy holidays.

woolladyfelter  – (June 6, 2008 at 8:32 AM)  

I started blogging in feb and I love all the contacts and connections thru the web I have made - its really fun to share thoughts and ideas. You always take share such interesting snippits of your day (and wonderful crafts). Thanks so much!

Jennifer  – (June 6, 2008 at 10:06 AM)  

What a daily pleasure to check in and see how our favorite VT waldorf family is doing. I feel like I'm getting a glimpse into the hows and whys, not just the whats, and that is so valuable as I continue to make the choices on how to raise my own wee folk. Cheers to you!

Kat  – (June 6, 2008 at 4:13 PM)  

Love your blog! Hope I win!!!

Anonymous –   – (June 6, 2008 at 8:51 PM)  

ack! did i miss my chance? either way, i love your blog. you know i am inspired by where you live but i am also inspired by your ever present parenting. so i am glad to hear that you and your husband have recognized the positive attribute the blog has had on your awareness as parents. that awareness is beautifully shared here. thanks so much for putting such great energy into this space. and beautiful gifts for the teachers! have a great weekend!
heather
beautythatmoves

Anonymous –   – (June 7, 2008 at 6:55 AM)  

You are so generous to share the lovely details of your life in these hills. Blessing to all your family on your bloganniversary.

Liza  – (June 13, 2008 at 10:43 PM)  

I thought of your blog today, getting ready for the summer with my son. I thought you'd have good ideas. I'm here for the gnome, in case he's still looking for a good home! We'll check on you frequently this summer!

Liza  – (June 13, 2008 at 10:44 PM)  

I thought of you as I was getting ready for the summer season with my son. I thought you guys would be up to some fun, and I was right! I'm here for the gnome, if he's still looking for a good home! You all are awesome, and I'm so glad that your blog is here. You've introduced me to so many things!

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment!

Tutorial: needle-felted figures

tutorial: Balloon Lanterns

tutorial: neede-felted advent spiral

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP