Fiction or Real Life?


Lou has been reading Melissa Wiley's Martha books and loving them. She has been fascinated by a little hedgehog that lives in the kitchen of the Old Stone House, eating bugs and being a pet.

This afternoon she suddenly called to say that there was a hedgehog in the driveway. We didn't pay attention because...well....as far as we know there aren't any hedgehogs in Vermont. She continued to insist that we come quick and look. Just as we got to the door, she opened it and Odin flew out....chasing a porcupine.





The porcupine waddled away as fast as it could and climbed the nearest tree.








Odin came limping back, legs coated in quills. Luckily, we were able to get them out quite easily. Luckily he didn't have a face full of them.

What an afternoon flurry. The porcupine is still up in the tree and Lou won't set foot outside.

Lisa Anne  – (May 31, 2008 at 5:20 PM)  

Oh Odin, I am so sorry. Our Daisy got 'quilled' by a porcupine recently. It took Jerome and Amelia to hold her down while I pulled the quills out with pliers. Porcupines are cute little buggers though. I am sure Lou was pretty upset.

Anonymous –   – (May 31, 2008 at 6:16 PM)  

Big excitement there... although I'm sorry it had to come at Odin's expense. Poor little guy. Give him an extra biscuit and a pat from us.

Tara  – (May 31, 2008 at 7:23 PM)  

My comment came through with the kiddo's gmail handle... the joys of a home office your preteen can access, eh? The hug and biscuit wish is from us...

dawn klinge  – (June 1, 2008 at 2:00 AM)  

Poor Odin, I'm guessing that Lou is a little disappointed that it wasn't an actual hedgehog either.

Lisa  – (June 1, 2008 at 3:06 PM)  

Poor Odin, he looks exactly the same as our dog, who would probably have done the same thing!! I didn't know porcupines climbed trees!

Anonymous –   – (June 1, 2008 at 10:25 PM)  

Wow! it reminds me of the time my Visiting English grandma ran screaming into the house because of the size of the "killer Hedgehog" snuffling at the edge of the garden (echidnas are harmless of course!)

Teaching Handwork  – (June 2, 2008 at 5:53 AM)  

Odin is a sweetheart for protecting the family...poor thing didn't expect quills.

My Golden has done the same thing.

Anonymous –   – (June 2, 2008 at 9:52 PM)  

Oh dear! I think I'd prefer a hedgehog too.

Gypsy  – (June 3, 2008 at 5:02 AM)  

Oh dear - poor little guy. We don't have porcupines here in NZ so they seem like these mythical, ultra cool creatures to me!

Anonymous –   – (June 7, 2008 at 1:20 PM)  

Hi, sorry to comment so late - I just found your blog! (It's lovely!) I'm also in VT (homeschooling Waldorf Mum), and have seen hedgehogs/porcupines here several times, so don't be surprised! Poor Odin, I hope he's feeling better!

Enjoy your summer days!

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment!

Tutorial: needle-felted figures

tutorial: Balloon Lanterns

tutorial: neede-felted advent spiral

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP