...and Mayflowers bring...


Pilgrims! This is an old family joke that my Step-Father, in particular loves to say. I thought it was pretty funny that I was going to be at Plimoth Plantation right after "April showers bring May flowers." I took a group of teachers down for two days of explorations this week.

Best of all? We got to sleep in the houses! I stayed in one of the houses from the PBS show The Colonial House. What was very funny was that last summer we stayed where The Frontier House was filmed. I hadn't even realized we'd be staying in one of the PBS houses.

It was extremely smoky and quite cold. We had a wonderful bi-cultural meal, followed by.... s'mores. How historically accurate is that? Someone took a photo of me roasting marshmallows over the Pilgrim fire, but I don't have it yet.

We also got to spend this morning doing animal chores in the Village. We learned about how Plimoth works with rare breed animals and their importance to our food security today. This talk, combined with reading Animal, Vegetable, Miracle, has made me want to get rare breed chickens. We'll see. I did buy some heritage seeds---another important part of our food security.

I'm home now and very grateful for showers and washing machines....I think dealing with water and keeping clean is the hardest part of heading back into the past.

Lisa Anne  – (May 3, 2008 at 5:06 PM)  

So very cool! I have actually been looking at a lot of Historical Fiction today for Amelia's homeschooling and thinking about some day trips we can take to round things out. Even though we are doing Waldorf homeschooling I do have to meet certain requirements with the state and cover US history, there really isn't much of that in the Waldorf Curriculum.
I thought of you today at the library because we actually made friends with our not so friendly children's librarian when we asked for some of the "Famous Five" books, apparently she loves them and it opened a whole conversation about books, and bookstores in England, and now she is going to purchase the whole series for the children's department.

Maymomvt  – (May 3, 2008 at 6:14 PM)  

Lisa anne-- Plimoth said that they often have families come early to help with animal chores. A few other groups have spent the night in the houses--not many. I think it's a matter of asking at these historic sites. Interpreters love taking interested folks behind the scene.

I wish we could get the whole Famous Five series. Lucky you!

Suzanne  – (May 3, 2008 at 6:17 PM)  

What a great time you had and I recognized the house from PBS. Lucky you! Being a history buff that kind of overnighter is my idea of a fantastic time:-) I haven't been to Plimoth in a few years , got to get there as it is so close by.

Lisa  – (May 3, 2008 at 6:35 PM)  

Looks like great fun. Famous Five - we read the ones that were mine when I was young! Obviously in the Uk my girls like to read American books!!

dawn klinge  – (May 3, 2008 at 8:48 PM)  

How exciting for you! Colonial House was one of my favorite shows to watch when it was on and I have thought often about how fascinating it would be to experience that life (for a short time). I'm glad they left up the houses after the show.

Maymomvt  – (May 4, 2008 at 12:48 PM)  

LOL--Dawn--I have also often thought it would be fun to go back in time...however, when we woke up in that smoky, cold room the other day, I was SO VERY GRATEFUL to go to the modern bathroom, brush my teeth, and have coffee and breakfast served to me.

denise  – (May 5, 2008 at 9:07 AM)  

Wow - that sounds like a great time! I haven't seen the show, but it sounds interesting. :)

Anonymous –   – (May 5, 2008 at 10:02 PM)  

Shows like that are one of the only things I miss about not having a TV! I think you're right, hauling water must have made cleanliness very difficult. And just imagine how few articles of clothing people probably had, so how dirty did they get!

Tara  – (May 5, 2008 at 11:26 PM)  

How cool is that?!
I loved both Colonial House and Frontier House. I still get all swoon-y thinking about that prairie wedding... but, like many people, I think I am overly romantic about times past. As fun as it is to learn about those days (on my computer or through my DVD, comfy on my couch, with a cup of hot tea and plentiful snacks nearby...) I know I would be the worst ever time traveler! I doubt I'd make it through a day without having a serious meltdown!

Sue  – (May 6, 2008 at 11:51 PM)  

I love Plimouth Plantation...and PBS' Frontier House...and Colonial House. Sounds like a great two days worth of exploring! I have a two friends who raise chickens, and they both say that chickens are easy and fun to keep--go for it!

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment!

Tutorial: needle-felted figures

tutorial: Balloon Lanterns

tutorial: neede-felted advent spiral

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP