Pilgrims, Farms, Cinderella, Violin....


Friends say that on the blog our lives seem pretty serene...the truth is that last week our family calendar and my work calendar clashed fairly dramatically. On May Day, after our lovely morning of posies, Lou headed off on an overnight farm trip. Most Waldorf 3rd grades go away to a farm for one or two nights to deeply engage in their farming/gardening curriculum.


Lou was just not ready to be away from me overnight. So, Wednesday night I drove up to the Farm, spent the night with the 3rd grade girls, then got up at the crack of dawn and drove teachers to Plimoth Plantation! Needless to say, I was happy to be in my own bed last night.


Today is busy--bleaching mudboots because Lou goes to a different farm tomorrow and we don't want to spread any weird weeds or disease between farms, hanging out smoky sleeping gear from life with Pilgrims, getting the weekend baking finished, and trying to figure out meals for another crazy week ahead--Hels has a violin concert. Lou is an evil step-sister in Cinderella, and Hels has a beautiful knighting ceremony. Luckily, I don't have a lot of work commitments!

dawn klinge  – (May 4, 2008 at 11:18 AM)  

Does your summer slow down? I find this time of year to be exhausting at times but my summers are generally lived with a slower pace. Knowing that life will calm down soon is what keeps me going through the busy times.

Maymomvt  – (May 4, 2008 at 12:50 PM)  

Our summer does slow down, but not before an upcoming May Festival, violin recital, violin fundraiser, and a few other year-end things...then I take a crowd of teachers to Colonial Williamsburg.

Angela  – (May 5, 2008 at 4:37 AM)  

You certainly have been hopping there! Did you love Plimoth Plantation? It's one of our favorite places to visit.

I must say, Waldorf is new to me, but makes me wish I had discovered it when my children were smaller. I love farming/ nature focus!

Lisa Anne  – (May 5, 2008 at 11:48 AM)  

I must say these are rather beautiful, wholesome things to be busy with.

Anonymous –   – (May 5, 2008 at 9:55 PM)  

Busy and tiring, but what wonderful things. We've had a lot of public school kids around here lately doing programs at the Pfeiffer Center, and I wish they could all do a farm weekend too. It's just so good for them.

Cadi  – (May 6, 2008 at 12:01 AM)  

These farm trips seem so much fun. Noah never went on a farm trip. When he was in 3rd grade, we lived in Germany and there was biodynamic farm across the street from the school where they all went to help once a week. Nathan's farm trip was last week. Monday - Friday. He ended up not being able to go, because he was sick. They were pitching tents and had frost the first night. Tuesday was my class play. Thursday the concert. I can relate to you feeling worn out. I seriously started wondering how much all of this cramming all these things into a week is really in the "true Waldorf spirit," because quite honestly I was so overwhelmed with everything that I did not feel the ability to be PRESENT IN THE MOMENT with all this stuff going on... there was just SOOOO much... Bright blessings, Cadi

Sue  – (May 6, 2008 at 11:56 PM)  

My girls have never had a successful overnight...I always have to come to :-) This IS a busy time of year, what with spring sports, recitals, and end of school picnics and activities. Even as a homeschooling family, I feel the crunch this time of year.

I have to say, that spring is the best time of the year to visit farms. We plan to go to Drumlin Farm and Old Sturbridge Village this month.

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment!

Tutorial: needle-felted figures

tutorial: Balloon Lanterns

tutorial: neede-felted advent spiral

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP