Green Week: 4

Hels made this journal last summer with a friend of mine. We've made a number of these journals and use them for all sorts of things--trips, gardens, and just for drawing. Just opening this has put me in the mood to go back and make a new journal. It's definitely a spring activity as I like having a new journal for summer. Hels has filled this one with geometric drawings.

Geometric drawing was the first block of 6th grade this year. They worked with compasses, rulers, and color as they made hexagons, stellar hexagons, pentagons, etc. With geometric drawing they get a hands-on experience of angles and forms that leads to a deeper understanding of both the mathematics and artistry of geometry. The drawings in her main lesson book are much more complicated than these.


She's made dozens and each is beautiful in its own way. I love them. I had a lot of trouble with geometry in school. I wonder if I would have had an easier time if I could have actually drawn the results of all those formulas in an artistic way.

Lisa  – (March 6, 2008 at 5:59 PM)  

Love the geometry, we're busy measuring in G3.

Lisa (UK)

Tara  – (March 6, 2008 at 6:56 PM)  

We covered some geometric drawing last year and, although trying at times, it was really neat when things clicked and the kiddo got it. Pairing it with a study of ancient Islamic tiles made it extra fun.
Great journal and drawings!

Anonymous –   – (March 6, 2008 at 8:05 PM)  

I tell you, I wish I could be a kid again just to go to Waldorf school! I liked geometry, even doing proofs! but I think I would have liked drawing and coloring the forms as well. I still get a small moment of pride every time I remember how to calculate the area of a circle or bisect a line with a compass...geeky huh?

Lisa Anne  – (March 6, 2008 at 10:23 PM)  

Beautiful journal and drawings, Amelia and I did geometry as our second main lesson block this year, we had a blast. (I have photos on my blog in Jan) I feel the same way as you, if I had been taught geometry this way the formulas and proofs would have made more sense by the time I got to high school. Our children are lucky!

Tammy  – (March 7, 2008 at 12:28 AM)  

Beautiful geometric drawings!

Isn't homeschooling great? :)

dawn klinge  – (March 7, 2008 at 1:42 AM)  

I'm looking forward to learning how to do these kinds of drawings with my daughter when she gets to be the right age. They're beautiful.

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment!

Tutorial: needle-felted figures

tutorial: Balloon Lanterns

tutorial: neede-felted advent spiral

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP