Making Books

A favorite field trip for H and E is to my friend Susan Bonthron's studio, Otter Pond Bindery. It is a glorious studio, sitting by a pond at a little crossroads in the woods. Today I had a meeting with Susan, so she set them free in her studio while we met.


The result were little books bound with waxed string and tied closed with a button. She had left out the materials and had pre-cut the paper.










They then went outside and sketched for about a half hour using what Susan and I call "view finders." 5" squares of whiteboard that have squares cut out of the inside. They help to frame a view.


I think the view finder really helped E to find a focal point in a big garden and H to narrow down which part of the studio to draw.




I love taking my girls to meet accomplished artists and craftspeople in their studios. They get the opportunity to see people creating beautiful work with beautiful materials.

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment!

Tutorial: needle-felted figures

tutorial: Balloon Lanterns

tutorial: neede-felted advent spiral

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP