Last week we held an "Iron Chef" night while Nelson's parents were visiting. Nelson and Helen were one team, Liz and I were a team, and Nelson's parents were the judges. Here's how it went down:
Helen made a long list of rules that included:
- The two teams will each make a dinner course and a dessert course to be judged on presentation, explanation, and taste.
- All items must be sane and completely edible.
- Items purchased must not take inordinately long time to cook (ie: no roast turkeys)
- Cookbooks are permitted during the planning periods only.
- Planning may only happen during the shopping period or planning period.
We also had time constraints for planning and preparation.
note to self: read the rules before going shopping.....I never read the rules as I had heard her discussing them while writing them. Big mistake.
It was a very busy day due to some car issues and we all ended up sneaking around in the same store. Here are Nelson and Helen planning.
For the dessert course, we gave them phyllo dough (which Nelson hates). They made a sauce out of frozen blueberries and put it into little phyllo dough cups. Due to time constraints, the phyllo really didn't do well.
They gave us a huge bag of carrots (which Nelson's Dad hates). We made a caramel sauce, put it on vanilla ice cream and garnished the plate with finely shredded carrot. Our caramel sauce won the dessert competition hands-down.