Keeping the magic with St. Nick

St. Nicholas arrived this week to leave a few little treats in the girls' shoes. He has been coming for years and years and he always leaves lots of glitter, a clementine, chocolate coins, and a little treat. 

Recently I've been wondering if St. Nick might need to spend his precious time visiting younger children. I thought a lot about it and decided that keeping the magic, even during the teen years, is needed and wanted.  These are the years they will remember most clearly and they still need a little magic in their lives. If we want traditions to be deeply rooted, we need to keep the traditions even when the children are growing out of them.


I had fun going back through my files to find other pictures of St. Nick's treats. I have some from pre-digital days and these on my computer. I remember last year they almost left uggs and combat boots, but I warned them St. Nick might have some trouble with such deep shoes. I liked this big starry glitter he left.  Much easier to clean up :)


One year they left clogs because they thought there would be extra space for St. Nick.


One year the girls made these little felt slippers and left them out for St. Nick. 
The new St. Nick mugs didn't quite fit!


This sweet little tradition is so easy and so beloved!
Sweet, sweet St. Nick


Anonymous –   – (December 8, 2012 at 7:17 PM)  

I so appreciate your comments on traditions and older children. It's tempting to just share all the "behind-the-scenes" with my 11-year-old -- but really, my gut says to continue and just enjoy them and let her wonder. Thanks for your wisdom. nancywalters44@hotmail.com

Heidrun Khokhar, KleinsteMotte  – (December 18, 2012 at 11:39 PM)  

Iloved this tradition and did some with my kids but as time went on it faded. It's just not done here.

Quiltin' Mama  – (December 23, 2012 at 9:04 PM)  

I so agree about keeping up traditions. I am sad when we need to alter or eliminate one. I know my 12,16,18 y/o's need tradition along side independence and spreading their wings. It seems to be a delicate balance between the 2 of them . My daughter is more tied to the traditions than my boys. Not sure what to make of that? Nurture?

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment!

Tutorial: needle-felted figures

tutorial: Balloon Lanterns

tutorial: neede-felted advent spiral

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP