Christmas Eve and the Handmade Gifts

Christmas Eve featured appetizers such as this cheeseboard of Vermont cheeses and a final feast of lobster casserole.

We read from my Christmas journal. Every year I keep a journal beginning on the first Sunday of Advent and ending on Twelfth Night. The girls always request a reading. This year I read from 2002 (the first year I began keeping it) and from last year. It is fun to remember back to all the things we made and did.

We listened to music, played Victorian parlor games such as charades where we acted out various Christmas songs, and looked at some of our favorite Christmas books.

After dinner we opened our handmade gifts. I love how excited we all get about this tradition. The focus is definitely on giving and every year the girls sigh and say they would be content if this was all we did. Here's what we all made~

Helen made me this set of napkins.

Liz needlefelted me this beautiful picture which I need to get framed.

I made Liz this owl and a matching buckwheat/lavender pillow.

Nelson made the girls fingerless gloves from thrifted sweaters.

He made me this bag dryer to go on the kitchen sink.
I have been wanting a good way to dry bags for years.

I made Nelson this work apron.
Here he is opening Helen's gift.

Helen made a set of 6 coasters using maps from each place we've been on summer vacation.

Helen made Liz this music folder out of duct tape.
Duct tape is a popular craft medium in our house these days.

Here is Liz with her duct tape folder.

I knit this elephant and sewed these pajamas for Helen.

For the final gift I printed out 2 copies of my blog from 2009. I made them each a copy because I know when they are old and grey, they will each want it. Now I need to get 2010 and 2011 printed. I'm a bit behind.

I'm so glad we started this tradition. To see more from over the years, click on the Handmade Christmas link on the sidebar of the blog.


Susan @ Home Hum  – (December 29, 2011 at 10:00 AM)  

Wow! Your family's tradition of homemade gifts is truly inspiring. What wonderful, creative gifts you all made for each other. What a happy Christmas :-)

Anonymous –   – (December 29, 2011 at 1:11 PM)  

awwwwww...what great gifts and wonderful memories!! Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous –   – (December 29, 2011 at 8:31 PM)  

So glad to have found you :)

We are at the beginning of our journey and I am inspired by your Christmas celebration and especially by the handmade gifts. My husband is a cartographer of sorts, and so Helen's gift is particularly inspiring for me.

Thanks again, and I am so looking forward to reading through your other entries.

sarah  – (December 29, 2011 at 8:57 PM)  

What a wonderful Christmas. Your gifts are amazing, so thoughtful. I really love those coasters - such a great idea. Blessings to you all for the coming year.

dawn  – (December 29, 2011 at 9:41 PM)  

I loved seeing your family's handmade gifts. They are all so thoughtful. That bag dryer is clever. I could use something like that.

Francesca  – (December 30, 2011 at 10:38 PM)  

Your handmade gifts are so beautiful and tailored to the recipients.And how many! Lovely!

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment!

Tutorial: needle-felted figures

tutorial: Balloon Lanterns

tutorial: neede-felted advent spiral

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP