You can't get there from here



There's an old Vermont saying~ you can't get there from here. It has never been more true. Here's a map showing road closures. We live near one of the only east-west roads. It is closed and the local gas stations seem to always be crowded with people holding maps, trying to plot out routes.

Here's a photo of that road.
Winter's not far away and I wonder how they are going to get it rebuilt in time.


During the storm, my neighbor came upon this spot on our road. She saw some water running over the road and briefly considered driving through, then quickly changed her mind. That chasm is at least 10' wide and 10' deep. All of us in the neighborhood are relieved she didn't try to drive through. It's a big reminder that water running over a road is NOT SAFE to drive through. There are several new teen drivers on our road (including Helen!) and we have all been using this spot as a lesson in caution.

Here's the bridge to Liz's school. Happily, the local road crew has configured a way for us to get the kids there tomorrow and figured out how to get water into town.

So, we move along. We leave extra time because just about EVERY bridge is a scene like this and we consult our maps to make sure "we can get there from here."


Sarah  – (September 5, 2011 at 10:31 AM)  

Wow, what dramatic pictures. I drive up to White River Junction from Albany, NY every other month or so, and can't imagine what that route looks like. Please stay safe and I hope that the repairs are done as quickly as possible.

Sarah  – (September 5, 2011 at 10:56 AM)  

Sarah--not sure which way you come from Albany, but Route 4 is out, some of Route 9 and route 7....even parts of I91 have scary undercuts.

Susan @ Home Hum  – (September 5, 2011 at 4:27 PM)  

Seeing these photos...wow. It's mind boggling, really. Just seeing that map and all of the red road-out signs...gosh! My son Zach just got his license this summer, too. I can't imagine having the kind of obstacles you are facing with your roads right now. (I wonder if *I* would have driven through that water. Probably. Yikes! You've just provided me with a good lesson, too).

You and your family are in my thoughts, Sarah.

sarah  – (September 5, 2011 at 4:55 PM)  

Wow, that's far more serious than I realised. I hope the situation doesn't last too long - at least it sounds like your community has a good attitude about it.

kristin  – (September 5, 2011 at 11:12 PM)  

oh Sarah!! i am so happy to hear you are all well. what scary scenes to see all the damage from the storms. mother nature is one powerful force. all those destroyed bridges! i'm sure it will never be the same. you are all in my thoughts...please be well. xx

Jenny  – (September 12, 2011 at 8:17 PM)  

Goodness me, I had no idea. Stay safe.

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment!

Tutorial: needle-felted figures

tutorial: Balloon Lanterns

tutorial: neede-felted advent spiral

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP