Vermont Flooding

Hi All,

I have had several comments and emails asking how we are up here in Vermont. The flooding and devastation is beyond description. Here is one tiny example--

This is the bridge that I took every day to get to the Waldorf School.

Here it is during Irene. It was quite something else to see 1,000 gallon propane tanks torpedoeing down the river and through the bridge. The air reeked of propane.


Here it is now. 1/2 the bridge is just gone as are the other 2 bridges we used to use to get into town. Here is a link to an article about the loss of Vermont's beloved bridges.


The Waldorf School (and the entire community) is virtually cut off. No power, no water, and the only way to get into the town is over the hills and through a school soccer field.

Our family is fine. We don't live in the cut-off area. We don't have power and our road is now truly a one-car width road, but we have a generator which means we have water and a fridge. No damage for us.

dawn klinge  – (August 30, 2011 at 11:10 AM)  

Oh no! That is so sad to see that beautiful bridge washed away. I'm glad that you're okay. I've thought of you often over the past few days as I've read the news about Vermont I'm so sorry about the devastation to your community.

Nan  – (August 30, 2011 at 11:28 AM)  

I've been thinking about you. Glad you're all okay, but so sad about the bridges. Awful sight of the river.

Kristin Nicholas  – (August 30, 2011 at 12:45 PM)  

Wow - what a mess! Amazing what destruction running water can do. We are fine but many around here are like you all in Vermont. Good luck with getting the school back up and running!

renee ~ heirloom seasons  – (August 30, 2011 at 9:50 PM)  

Gosh, the storm passes so quickly but the devastation remains. You are in my thoughts.

Quiltin' Mama  – (August 31, 2011 at 3:45 PM)  

We were on the Cape visiting and although we escaped much of it, I immediately thought of Vermont and those we know living there when we saw what Irene was actually going to do. Dump unimaginable amounts of rain in an area geographically that cannot handle it. Glad to see that you are all well. These challenges make us wise. Our trip home was a detouring maze to get through Eastern NY on our way to WNY. We saw some terrible flooding. The power of water is amazing. Glad that you are safe.

Christy  – (September 3, 2011 at 12:38 PM)  

Nan sent me a link to your post as I had a post on a similar theme - except my perspective is as a frequent visitor to Vermont, not a resident. My grandmother and a couple of my mom's siblings live in Vermont, so I go up at least once a year. In the past couple of years, some of us visiting relatives have played the tourist and gone on drives to see covered bridges. I'm sorry to hear about the damage to the one by you, but glad that you and your family are ok.

Susan @ Home Hum  – (September 5, 2011 at 9:31 AM)  

Wow. We had a lot of wind and rain from Irene (three trees down on our street/a lot of debris to clean up afterward), but, thankfully, no damage. Those photos of the bridge are truly frightening. I am so glad that your family is safe. Being without power is always fun...for about 12 hours. I'm so glad to hear that you have a generator to keep your fridge and water going. I hope the electricity is restored soon!

Sarah, I am so sad to hear about the school. What will happen this term with the children and all of the Waldorf families and staff?

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment!

Tutorial: needle-felted figures

tutorial: Balloon Lanterns

tutorial: neede-felted advent spiral

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP