The Advent Paradox

Advent. A time to ponder. Wait. Circle inward.
A time of joyous anticipation. Music. Performances. Friends. Feasts.

For me, Advent is best when there is balance between these two gestures of circling inward and joyous celebration.


I like to have moments where I sit in the candlelight and hold hands with my family.
I like to have moments when I bake glittery treats to my heart's content while singing carols.

I like walking the candlelit spiral in the deep snow.
I like driving around looking at all the crazy Christmas lights.


It is harder to find that balance this year. The girls are more involved in Christmas performances than ever before. Below is our schedule for next Sunday - Saturday. Those squares don't even represent work and school and extend through the dinner hour until 10:30 p.m. almost every night.
My wish for Advent this year?
To help my family find the moments when they can just stop and ponder the star.


Unknown  – (December 10, 2010 at 10:34 AM)  

I just found your blog through Ancient Hearth...and really enjoy it.

Penny  – (December 10, 2010 at 4:11 PM)  

What a truly lovely post Sarah - I wish for you the peace you seek!

(and I love to sing and bake too - so.much.fun.!)

Anonymous –   – (December 10, 2010 at 10:38 PM)  

Yes, yes... this is the blessing and sometimes the curse of the children being in that middle range.. not yet driving and adult.. but not so small that home is all their world. The past few years the battle for balance between all I want the holidays to be, and the needs of the three boys and their activities, and my own work and housework.. sigh.

Wishing you many moments, small and large, when pondering the star is effortless and blissful.

Sarah  – (December 11, 2010 at 7:03 AM)  

Yes again. You give these children a rich education filled with music and then, the result? They actually want to perform :)

Goodenough Mama  – (December 12, 2010 at 12:02 AM)  

Hi! I see you will be in my neck of the woods this week...down south in Brattleboro! I'd love to meet you or give you some hot cocoa if you are in need...with free goat petting thrown in for fun. Hmmm - not sure how to leave you my info without it going out to the whole world...oh well, I'll check here again later..

Sarah  – (December 13, 2010 at 10:09 AM)  

Hi--my email is. inthesehillsATGMAILdotCOM

I can't meet you in Brattleboro this week as I am completely booked up with work obligations. I work down there quite a bit, so another time would be great!

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment!

Tutorial: needle-felted figures

tutorial: Balloon Lanterns

tutorial: neede-felted advent spiral

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP