Book Week: A Bookish Weekend

Our bookish weekend began on Friday with a trip to the library for Helen and me. We stopped at a local cafe for iced coffee and meringues. We had planned to browse through our library books, but ended up chatting with friends passing by instead.

On Saturday we all headed into Woodstock for the big "Bookstock" event which was a day-long festival of book sales, poetry reading, author signings, and displays by local publishers. There was tent after tent filled with authors, publishers, and books. A delight for a book-loving family like ours.

Helen always has such trouble pairing down all the books she finds at these sales.

And what did she do when she got home? She started cutting one up to make a "book box..."

...and applying gesso and mod podge to alter another.
She is very inspired by these soul journaling prompts as well as other altered books sites.

Of course, Lou also became inspired
(I think it was being able to use a utility knife that truly inspired her).
Sigh....I had just vacuumed.

And look what I found at one of the sales....Swallows and Amazons.
Guess what we'll be reading aloud next week???


sarah  – (August 1, 2010 at 3:33 PM)  

cutting up books? I'll just breathe deeply for a minute ... ;-) Actually, that looks like a really interest idea for journalling. Its something I might try myself.

I hope you enjoy Swallows and Amazons :-)

Tammy  – (August 1, 2010 at 3:38 PM)  

Bookstock...now that sounds like something my girls and I would love!

I've heard of book boxes before...such a great idea!

Sarah  – (August 1, 2010 at 4:07 PM)  

Helen has been collecting old French textbooks at the thrift shop and book sales to "alter". Take a deep breath Sarah--as far as I can tell she hasn't destroyed anything of great literature :)

Lovely World  – (August 2, 2010 at 8:19 PM)  

Wish I was going to Bookstock! And, I should pick up A Homemade Life again. I never finished - although I can't say I didn't like it. I just didn't compel me. I'll give it another go.

Quiltin' Mama  – (August 13, 2010 at 9:21 PM)  

Oh- I have to remember to take my daughter to Bookstock next year, sounds like heaven for her. Altered books are the best - that is next to a good one curled up with hot tea. My daughters room is over stocked at this time. ;):)

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment!

Tutorial: needle-felted figures

tutorial: Balloon Lanterns

tutorial: neede-felted advent spiral

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP