Sugaring Season

It may look like deep winter here, but the woods are coming alive.
Nels and Lou tapped 20 trees this year.




The snow is deep enough that snowshoes are definitely needed.

Here's Lou helping to collect.

Here's our little rig. All we had to buy was a stovepipe.
The wood we are burning is all from our land.

We boiled outside for about 6 hours.
On Sunday we all hung out together.
What do you do all day long?
Jack knives help pass the time.

It is fun to make a bow and arrow set.
It worked!

Lots of food to cook on the fire also helps to pass the time
sausages, bread & cheese, s'mores.

Here's the best part of all!

It's amazing to think that these same trees will be providing us with deep green shade in just a few short months.

Tammy  – (March 8, 2010 at 9:46 AM)  

Oh wow, that is just so fun to read about! I bet it tasted sooo good. :)

momma rae  – (March 8, 2010 at 3:19 PM)  

so cool to read this today! i am in wnc and we visited the southern most maple syrup farm yesterday. it was so fun and we brought home maple syrup! mmmm..i can imagine the joy of having it in your backyard!

dawn klinge  – (March 8, 2010 at 5:25 PM)  

What a fun way to spend the weekend! I bet that syrup is delicious.

Anonymous –   – (March 8, 2010 at 7:24 PM)  

It's my favorite time of year when snow is still on the ground! :) My husband and I are sneaking up to Maine for the weekend to sugar with my Dad, then the rest of the season we'll be spending with good friends sugaring up at their place. I LOVE me some maple syrup! :) YUM YUM YUM!

Angela  – (March 10, 2010 at 6:34 AM)  

Have I ever told you that I want to be your kid? What a great life you are giving your family!

julie  – (March 10, 2010 at 10:07 AM)  

looks like a wonderful day - I remember reading about tapping the syrup as a child, had forgotten all about it (not something you come across so much in the UK, I don't think) until I saw these pictures. My mouth is watering in envy!

gardenmama  – (March 11, 2010 at 10:54 AM)  

What a gorgeous time!
The process of maple sugaring is pure magic! How wonderful your girls are so creative!

Susan  – (March 11, 2010 at 1:27 PM)  

Wow!!! What a wonderful, fun, productive, family activity!--and yummy, too!

Suzanne  – (March 12, 2010 at 8:32 AM)  

That is one great day you all spent together!

Nicole Vangen  – (March 12, 2010 at 4:13 PM)  

When I read your blog I see my future. I have two little ones under five.

I really enjoy reading your blog.

woolladyfelter  – (March 15, 2010 at 8:09 PM)  

Ohhh I can taste it now...but I can't - I taped one tree and got 2 gallons or so, boiled it down this weekend so carefully and then whooops walked away and forgot (how could I have done that!) and it boiled away. Boo hoo.

Trying another one tomorrow.
Live and learn

Sarah  – (March 16, 2010 at 6:17 AM)  

Did you lose your pot? We had syrup turn to rock once. Never again!

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment!

Tutorial: needle-felted figures

tutorial: Balloon Lanterns

tutorial: neede-felted advent spiral

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP