A Saunter out of Vermont

We took a saunter out of Vermont last weekend. We have cabin fever! Our family truly loves books so we went to visit a town once peopled by many famous authors--Concord. We all enjoyed standing where authors once stood, looking at the books they wrote and the books they read, exploring their writing "spots" and being inspired by many quotes throughout the day.


Here is Bronson Alcott sitting on the step of his school--
The Concord School of Philosophy

And here we are standing in the same spot.

"That is a good book which is opened with expectation, and closed with delight and profit." Bronson Alcott

We got to stand in this spot and imagine Louisa May Alcott writing at her desk.

"Do the things you know, and you shall learn the truth you need to know."
Louisa May Alcott

From the Alcott's home, we went on to Walden.

A truly good book teaches me better than to read it. I must soon lay it down, and commence living on its hint. What I began by reading, I must finish by acting.
Henry David Thoreau

Helen is ready to join Thoreau's Sauntering Society.

She very much wants to be a writer and enjoyed sitting at his desk.

I can't wait to saunter back this summer when it is warm enough to sit and journal.

Angela  – (February 15, 2010 at 5:58 PM)  

How wonderful! HOney and I are planning a trip to Concord and Salem this Sept. I so want to see the Wayside and Walden Pond as much as the battlefield!

Suzanne  – (February 16, 2010 at 9:13 AM)  

What a great trip. I am meeting a friend who is a professor of Literature at Alcott's place this July for a conference. She worked on the recent PBS show on Louisa. I do love visiting out there. When I lived closer a walk and day out at Walden Pond was just great fun!

Lovely World  – (February 16, 2010 at 2:56 PM)  

What a great trip. Susan Cheever recently wrote a book about the Concord writers and thinkers - "American Bloomsbury..." is the title I think. I heard an interview with her and the book sounded pretty good.

em  – (February 16, 2010 at 3:44 PM)  

Sounds like a wonderful trip.
Many years ago they were talking about building condos near Walden Pond - I hope they never did that!
I've been there once and found it very peaceful, in spite of all the tourists.
Margaretha

Susan  – (February 16, 2010 at 4:28 PM)  

What a fun outing. My girls and I visited Orahard House last spring--it was very inspiring. The tour guide knew so many interesting things about the Alcott's lives.

So nice to get out during the long winter months!

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment!

Tutorial: needle-felted figures

tutorial: Balloon Lanterns

tutorial: neede-felted advent spiral

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP