The Great Sock Knit-Off

Isn't this a sweet sight?
My daughter,
knitting away at her sock....

Actually, she's saying to herself,
"Ha....this is sock #2 and look how far along I am."

"Take that, Mom--almost to the heel."


"See? How far along are you?"

"Not so far along," I say.
(and I'm only on sock #1, which, umm, has taken me about 3 years to knit).


We're having a knit-off. Lou has been working on her socks since the beginning of the school year. Things have been lagging, so I dug into the bottom of my knitting basket and resurrected this old project so we could have a contest. I must say, it has inspired her to get knitting.

I'm truly doomed. The child doesn't even need a pattern. She narrated the entire pattern to me in the car yesterday and then detailed how to do the kitchener stitch. Kitchener stitch? After she explained it, I realized that I had done it before, but didn't know the term. Apparently the kitchener stitch is quite famous in school because it's a "recess stitch." You have to stay in at recess to do it so you can have quiet concentration.

Then she told me, with great exasperation, how to do ssk (which apparently I didn't know correctly either).


Thank goodness there's a new Jane Austen to watch these days.
She has saved my knitting before.

denise  – (February 4, 2010 at 10:49 AM)  

Ha! Too funny. I need her to come visit me for a few days. I want to knit socks, but it just isn't working out...books on the subject are not the same as watching somebody, I think! Love your yarn. :)

Lisa Anne  – (February 4, 2010 at 3:05 PM)  

How fun! We have been watching Emma also, but I can't get it very big on my computer screen, we are in love with all the dresses. The yarn you are using is making a lovely pattern. Happy Knitting!

Susan  – (February 5, 2010 at 9:59 PM)  

I am loving Emma, and slowly, slowly knitting a pair of socks. Lou is amazing!

Penny  – (February 6, 2010 at 6:38 PM)  

Sounds like your family will enjoy warm feet for a lifetime - what a wonderful talent and skill to enjoy and pass on.

Commonweeder  – (February 8, 2010 at 9:05 AM)  

What a lovely story. I was happy when I did a 7 week stint at the local elementary school Reading Aloud about the Chinese mischievous hero Monkey King while the children tended to their knitting (or crocheting) for half an hour after lunch recess. Boys too.

Maribeth  – (February 9, 2010 at 4:01 PM)  

Hey! I've been knitting with Jane as well! It is especially nice because everyone else goes to bed and I get her all to myself.

kristin  – (February 9, 2010 at 4:48 PM)  

yes, she is sweet. i love this idea of a knit off. :) our children teach us in so many ways...don't they?

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment!

Tutorial: needle-felted figures

tutorial: Balloon Lanterns

tutorial: neede-felted advent spiral

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP