Porch Living

I've been doing some tidying today in anticipation of a small family reunion we are hosting tomorrow. There was little work to do in our living room, but the porch was a mess. We move onto our porch in the summer and I thought it would be fun to document what had migrated there.

Games....cribbage, thunderhole dice, bananagrams, and a homemade bingo-type game to help the girls learn their French.

The bird books. We currently have a big flock of Bluejays and a tiny hummingbird hanging out at the feeders. Our favorite, however is the Veery singing his evening song.

Handwork keeps appearing--cotton dishcloths, a cotton mesh shopping bag, a tatting kit, and some cross-stitch bookmarks are all in process right now. Can I confess? I learned to tat in 6th grade and now can't figure it out for the life of me.

Lou's big, fat suduko book gets use out here.
She loves anything with numbers.


It wouldn't be summer if somebody wasn't immersed in the stack of "Where's Waldo."

We linger so long that candles are often needed.


But really, none of this matters because what we're really doing these days.....

...is enjoying the antics of the newest member of the family....Calvin (as in Calvin Coolidge--and, I'll just say...for the record... that I, the historian, wasn't the only person who leaped at the name--Lou studied Vermont History this year and really liked Calvin, the man).

He was born at Kristin Nicholas's farm which turned out to be perfect as he isn't scared of dogs at all since his infancy was spent with 2 sheepdogs. We've had a very easy dog/kitten adjustment period. We're all in love.

So, here we sit on our porch--with sweaters--in July--listening to the rain--trying not to look at our rotting vegetable garden--knitting, tatting, playing games, doing French, and watching Calvin twirl about on the chair rungs, launch himself onto the screens, and snooze happily.

Anonymous –   – (July 17, 2009 at 10:03 PM)  

Oh my, you are an inspiration. The thunderbolt game is delightful and I hope it becomes part of our family in the future.

We have rain from October to MayIn Seattle but the Summers are so dry. I was just lamenting the lack of rain and especailly thunderstorms.

Cute kitten!

Tammy  – (July 17, 2009 at 10:43 PM)  

That Calvin is a cutie. :)

My grandmother knew how to tat, and oh, how I wish I would have had her teach me before she passed away. It is an art that will be gone before long. Please, if you figure it out again, post a photo of your creation, ok?

sarah  – (July 17, 2009 at 11:52 PM)  

That is one gorgeous kitten!

And such an interesting collection of things.

I've heard of tatting, vaguely, but wouldn't have a clue what it is.

ellen  – (July 17, 2009 at 11:53 PM)  

What a sweet kitty and what wonderful times you are having on that wonderful porch.
I would love some rain tonight, but I know it is not going to happen.
Of course, in a few months it will rain, mizzle and mist for months on end and I might even find myself missing the 90 degree heat during the day.

Linda  – (July 18, 2009 at 2:49 AM)  

Oh wow, your Calvin looks just like our Charlie!

Gypsy  – (July 18, 2009 at 4:14 AM)  

Oh too cute ... kittens are great. What a gorgeous porch ... we are in midwinter here and I am so jealous of those of you in summer!

Melissa Ellen, Honeybee Toys  – (July 18, 2009 at 7:12 AM)  

Sounds like the perfect summer! And Calvin is SO cute.

Anonymous –   – (July 18, 2009 at 5:00 PM)  

ooh I would love to spend a day in your porch !

enjoy the reunion !

dawn klinge  – (July 18, 2009 at 8:40 PM)  

Calvin is adorable! Your porch looks like a wonderful place to pass the time.

Anonymous –   – (July 18, 2009 at 9:33 PM)  

Doesn't seem messy...just full of life!

Tatting always seems to me like a great way to go blind :-) But I love tatted things, they're so beautiful.

Angela  – (July 19, 2009 at 8:24 AM)  

Such lovely images. Calvin is too adorable, and I am so glad the transition went so well. Hoping you get some warm, sunny days again soon!

Anonymous –   – (July 19, 2009 at 4:41 PM)  

I've been visiting your blog since I found it on Letters from a Hill Farm blog. I bought the book, Mitten Strings for God, based on your reflections in your blog's sidebar. I truly love the book and am using it for meditation reading. Even though my son is just about out of college and the book has wonderful ideas about parenting, Katrina Kenison's attitude about life in general has inspired me. Also, I'm interested in Waldorf education. Thank you for your wonderful writing about your family. --Cathy

June  – (July 21, 2009 at 3:27 PM)  

We do much living on our porch too, and I recently spent a day tidying up. So many memories emerged from the corners and from under the pew we use as a sit-down-place. Lovely to see what life happens on yours...

Crescent Moon  – (July 23, 2009 at 9:59 AM)  

What a pretty kitty!
I had the same experience with tatting. A neighbor taught me a little when I was 10 or 11, but when my daughter found my shuttle and wanted to learn how, I couldn't remember at all. She's teaching herself now.

gardenmama  – (July 26, 2009 at 7:34 PM)  

I love the thunderhole game and remember reading about it when you were away playing it : ) What a wonderful memory!
Aww sweet little Calvin : )

Angela  – (July 28, 2009 at 10:12 PM)  

Looks like your family enjoys a lot of the same past times as ours. although, i haven't attempted tatting. Tammy asked if you'd post your finished project - I'd love to see it, too!

Anonymous –   – (July 29, 2009 at 11:12 AM)  

What a delightful post! I love the veery's song best, too. It has always reminded me of an infant's chime ball. We've been playing a lot of games, knitting, and reading during this cool, wet summer, too.

Have a happy reunion!

Maribeth  – (July 30, 2009 at 6:37 PM)  

Our "kitten" just turned one and although he is huge, he is still a frisky kitten at heart. We have been enjoying him so much. Hope you enjoy your fluff-ball!

Miri  – (August 1, 2009 at 12:11 PM)  

ooh, how very inspirational!
what a cute cat you have!!
i love the bowl full of stones, i might just steal that idea!
i just found your blog & i will definitely come back!
<3
Miri

Cadi  – (August 5, 2009 at 5:31 PM)  

What a beautiful cat! Awwww.

Crescent Moon  – (August 5, 2009 at 7:43 PM)  

I am awarding your blog the "Honest Scrap" award. You can read about it on my blog.

Anonymous –   – (August 6, 2009 at 10:59 AM)  

dad and i(hels) both thind it should be named after calvin and hobbes the comic book characters!

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment!

Tutorial: needle-felted figures

tutorial: Balloon Lanterns

tutorial: neede-felted advent spiral

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP