A day in my life

It was with excitement that I woke up yesterday--we were all home. No work. Hels all better. Blogged, cleaned out the fridge, prepared for our morning date at the dump and grocery store. I have this handy new list that is organized by the aisles of our store. I saw a friend using it one day at the store and she emailed it to me.

Lou came downstairs looking a bit grouchy...fever. Took care of the dump and grocery chores. Made raisin cookies and Udon soup broth. After lunch Hels, Nels, and I went out to tap trees.


Heading into the woods with our ski sled. Thankfully we didn't need snowshoes. The snow is over a foot deep in the woods but is well-settled.

A friend of ours had decided not to sugar this year, so we borrowed his gear.


The sap immediately began trickling out of the trees. Soon the woods around us was filled with the pinging sound of sap dropping into empty metal buckets.

After being in the woods, I went to the library.


Came home and made pizza dough. Used the peel which worked like a charm.

It was a busy, productive Saturday for blogging "day in my life"

Anonymous –   – (March 15, 2009 at 8:57 AM)  

Yeah! You did tap. It is so much work, but definitely worth the final product. And the sun is shining this weekend, making outdoor activities glorious!

dawn klinge  – (March 15, 2009 at 11:10 AM)  

Other than poor Lou being sick, that sounds like a great day.
I loved seeing the photos of how you tap the maple trees. Pure maple syrup is like liquid gold around here.
Your library looks so charming.

Joy  – (March 15, 2009 at 1:45 PM)  

Love the photos...the woods, the bucket, the library, so quaint and gorgeous.

Anonymous –   – (March 15, 2009 at 2:17 PM)  

Wow, That's about a week's worth of activities in my life!

Great pictures, my uncle used to tap trees, Yor pics bring back memories.

I wish you a productive sugaring season.

Anonymous –   – (March 15, 2009 at 2:44 PM)  

What a great day. We had pancakes for breakfast yesterday...maple syrup is such an amazing gift of nature. I hope Lou is better soon!

sarah  – (March 15, 2009 at 3:14 PM)  

I love the idea of the grocery shopping list organised aisle by aisle. I must do that!

Anonymous –   – (March 15, 2009 at 5:53 PM)  

Looks like you tapped an Oak tree. That should make some mission quality syrup!

Sarah  – (March 15, 2009 at 6:20 PM)  

We'll just name it "Morris Maple Syrup." Actually, we didn't end up tapping that tree because we realized it was an oak. We are concerned that we may have tapped a red maple. Nels is putting all the trees up on flickr so you can check for us :)

ellen  – (March 15, 2009 at 8:47 PM)  

Beautiful pictures and such a wonder of things to do. I cannot imagine being there to tap a tree and get such goodness out of it.
Spring will be coming soon and how lovely. I hope that you received the Piecework Magazine and that it was of help and inspiring.
Take care.

Lisa  – (March 16, 2009 at 8:23 AM)  

Tree sapping is so cool! We never do that here in the SF Bay Area. The pizza looks great!

woolladyfelter  – (March 16, 2009 at 7:21 PM)  

My husband and I wanted to tap a tree this weekend but I got the flu - I hope to do it sometime this week. Our school has taped and it working well. Keep us posted - Where will you boil??

RunninL8  – (March 17, 2009 at 9:38 PM)  

What a full day!!! I love the organized list! Perfect for my ADD!
I miss all the tree tapping and syrup brewing that went on at my best friend's house in NJ!!!! Luck you have this at your finger tips!
Hope everyone gets better/stays well!

Crescent Moon  – (March 19, 2009 at 2:39 PM)  

Homemade maple syrup, how cool is that!?
I loved looking at the pictures.
I also wish my grocery shopping could be that organized.

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment!

Tutorial: needle-felted figures

tutorial: Balloon Lanterns

tutorial: neede-felted advent spiral

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP