Some Books for the New Year

Happy New Year. My goals this year all revolve around cooking and gardening. I want to have a successful vegetable garden and to continue to integrate more fresh veggies and whole grains into our diet. I received these books for Christmas which are proving to be inspirational.

I had been wanting The Art of Simple Food for a very long time. It has many basics, made from scratch, that I hope to try this year. The other book I hope to actually use more this year is The Cook's Garden with veggies from our own garden.

My neighbor has made a number of things from King Arthur Flour's Whole Grain Baking. I have been wanting to use more whole grains in my baking, so now I have no excuse--especially since I live near King Arthur Flour's baking store!


Lou received this Tasha Tudor cookbook from her Grandmother. She is already inspired. Another goal I have this year is to get the girls cooking a bit more--time to venture beyond baking cookies and buche de noel cake (of which Hels made FOUR this Christmas).

I hope to get us all out hiking and exploring a bit more this year. Perhaps Searching for Thoreau will provide inspiration. We'll at least get to Walden Pond this year.

So, I have HOPE for 2009. Hope for a healing world. Hope for a healthier family. Hope for peace. Happy New Year.

Anonymous –   – (January 2, 2009 at 10:32 AM)  

Great books for the New Year. I have had the Alice Waters cookbook for some time now and I love it. She brings out the freshest taste in food with minimal fussing. I haven't seen the Thoreau book yet, but it looks good. I'll have to check it out. And your mention of the King Arthur store brought back memories of when we lived in Hanover, NH. We would visit the store after our weekly trip to the Norwich farmers' market. That was a great way to spend a Saturday morning!

Mary Beth  – (January 2, 2009 at 11:08 AM)  

All these look great. Some of my goals are similar to yours: getting outside more, healthier cooking and eating. Enjoy!

denise  – (January 2, 2009 at 11:46 PM)  

Oh, good cookbooks. I'll have to check out that Thoreau book -- haven't read that one yet! :)

dawn klinge  – (January 3, 2009 at 2:22 AM)  

Every one of those books look like ones I'd love to read. I hope you'll write about your adventures in gardening/cooking on this blog. Happy new year!

Lisa Anne  – (January 4, 2009 at 11:03 AM)  

I really haven't set up many goals for the New Year but I like the idea of books for the New Year. I have the desire to read Thomas Merton this year and I have a new Organic Flower Farming book that I am ready to sink my teeth in. I have been cooking from scratch and healthy for many years and now I am looking for ways to achieve healthy meals without spending much time in the kitchen. Enter: the Crock Pot for 2009! Thoreau book looks incredible. I met a woman who is 80+ yo at my Biodynamic training who swims in Walden Pond almost everyday of the year- I want to go visit her and have a swim with her(that may be a good goal for me for 2009?).

Anonymous –   – (January 4, 2009 at 11:40 PM)  

Hmmm, that Alice Waters book looks very intriguing. And I am so jealous that you live near the King Arthur store! I've really gotten into bread baking this year and it has been so much fun, and yummy to boot.

Happy New Year!

Sarah  – (January 5, 2009 at 7:42 AM)  

Lisa Anne--I use the crockpot a lot. Good luck with it!

Grace  – (January 7, 2009 at 1:39 PM)  

those cookbooks all look great!

Tammy  – (January 9, 2009 at 9:30 AM)  

How fun to know so much baking is ahead. I didn't even know there was a Tasha Tudor cookbook, very cool!

kristin  – (January 9, 2009 at 10:24 PM)  

the Heart of Simple food sounds like a good one...

i don't think i got the chance to say happy new year yet! i feel so blessed to "know" you and look forward to another wonderful year of reading about your peaceful, loving life. xxx,kristin

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment!

Tutorial: needle-felted figures

tutorial: Balloon Lanterns

tutorial: neede-felted advent spiral

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP