The shot heard round the world

Yesterday Hels accompanied me on a field trip with teachers to Lexington and Concord. We viewed an exhibit called "Sowing the Seeds of Liberty" where we worked with original family records and thought about what might turn a community of farmers into a community of revolutionaries. We then walked the famous battle road and went to the North Bridge.

She loved every moment of it and had insightful observations about the primary sources that the teachers missed :)

She took this photo at the Old North Bridge. As we were walking to North Bridge, she came across this quote by Emerson which she loved so much she memorized and wrote down after we got back to the car:

The thunderbolt falls on an inch of ground, but the light of it fills the horizon.

She decided that Emerson was talking about a thought or idea. We had a nice conversation about the impact of the events on April 19th and how they impacted the world. I have a feeling the quote will be hanging in her room soon.

It was a good day. Worthy of a day off from school I'd say.

Suzanne  – (November 19, 2008 at 8:04 AM)  

I'd allow my kids to play rookie too:-) What a great day! Sarah, where is that exhibit? WE're not far from Lexington/Concord. We are doing early American history and just finsihed watching John Adams and this sounds like a great trip for our family to take. Thanks!

Sarah  – (November 19, 2008 at 9:18 AM)  

Suzanne-- the exhibit was at the Museum of our National Heritage

www.monh.org

Definitely do the multi-media show at the National Park visitors center.

Tammy  – (November 19, 2008 at 9:39 AM)  

How nice to live in the middle of so many historical landmarks. I'd like to stand there, close my eyes, and just imagine for a while.

dawn klinge  – (November 19, 2008 at 10:06 AM)  

My husband visited this site when he was in high school, and he still talks about it on a regular basis. We plan on taking our kids on a trip to learn more about our country's beginnings when they're both old enough to appreciate it. It sounds like it was a meaningful day for your daughter.

Jennifer  – (November 19, 2008 at 10:25 AM)  

The spot where you took your photo is one of my favorite places. There is something particularly meaningful about such a beautiful spot in nature, with such a violent and poignant history attached. When we were there last November, I carried my almost two year old and recited all I could remember of the poetry related. She was unimpressed (and cold), but I could stand there (and in that whole area) and wonder and ponder all that happened, all it has meant.
Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous –   – (November 19, 2008 at 11:00 PM)  

I visited that area on my honeymoon and remember feeling in awe of being in such an important historical place. (I grew up in Southern California, which seems painfully new compared to the Northeast.)

I really love Hels's interpretation of Emerson's quote. What a creative way to read that.

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment!

Tutorial: needle-felted figures

tutorial: Balloon Lanterns

tutorial: neede-felted advent spiral

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP