Caps to Cap Haitien

Yesterday we had a fun afternoon making caps and blankets for Soulemama's Caps to Cap Haitien project. I had been looking for an easy project for the girls and this seemed just right--many of the projects I had considered were in the Knitting for Peace book and a little too complicated. We began by watching the video about Konbit Sante which got the girls fired up.


Hels usually does the cutting and pinning while Lou runs the machine. Making the blankets was a bit of a challenge as my flannel stash is composed of small snippets--we did find this great piece of batik which made for a lightweight blanket when combined with a soft knit that I had once been planning to use to make Lou a pair of pants.

While I was helping Hels, Lou disappeared in a great(er) state of excitement and then came bouncing upstairs from the sewing area. She had made her own hat.

By the end of the afternoon we had made a stack of infant caps and two receiving blankets. The girls eagerly told Nels all about the health crisis in Haiti and proudly showed off their work. It was a great afternoon.

Lisa Anne  – (November 14, 2008 at 7:23 AM)  

Wow! That is a wonderful project! I think I will look at this for this weekends project.

Tammy  – (November 14, 2008 at 9:01 AM)  

What a wonderful, wonderful project. I love a good service project. :)

dawn klinge  – (November 14, 2008 at 9:41 AM)  

You and your girls made a lot of hats! This was such a a fun opportunity to be able to help babies like this. I'll have to watch that video with my daughter.

Dawn  – (November 14, 2008 at 9:49 AM)  

Fantastic. Thanks for sharing. A couple weeks ago, I did Knit One Save One. If the girls can crochet, there are patterns for very simple caps that first will travel to the new President and then on to newborns that need them. I am going to check out this mission. We are working with a Haitien orphanage ourself so I may ask if they need these.

I am really enjoying your site. Keep up the good work.

Anonymous –   – (November 14, 2008 at 10:43 AM)  

Sometimes it's so nice to have a quick project so that you can accomplish a lot in a little time. And for a very worthy cause!

sarah  – (November 14, 2008 at 2:44 PM)  

Wow, well done. It's a great project.

Anonymous –   – (November 14, 2008 at 2:53 PM)  

That's great! =)

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment!

Tutorial: needle-felted figures

tutorial: Balloon Lanterns

tutorial: neede-felted advent spiral

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP