Williamsburg

Our week in Williamsburg went by quickly. We went to Jamestown where we role-played trading with the Powhatans. In Williamsburg we went behind the scenes and learned about colonial economics, government, and slavery. We ate in the historic taverns. We played many late night dice games with some very tasty mint juleps! It was an incredible learning experience.


For me, however, the best part was being back in my college town. I walked through campus enjoying the smells of the boxwood and the sounds of the cicadas.

I have a deeper sense of the history now than I did as a college student and appreciate what I had just a bit more.





The best part of all? Getting to see some old friends who I haven't seen since 1991. These friends took me in when I arrived at college feeling so very far from home. I babysat their children almost every week for four years and really became a part of the family.


I got to their house and we just sat at the table with big goofy smiles--I felt like I had come home and they felt like they were seeing a long lost daughter. It was very, very special and I can't wait to get back to introduce them to my family. I have a lump in my throat now just writing about it!

So, it was a great trip on many levels. I'm relieved that nobody got lost or sick. I'm happy to have been back to Williamsburg. And I'm glad to be home and begin some summer relaxation!

Anonymous –   – (July 2, 2008 at 10:53 AM)  

That must be an amazing experience, to really experience history that way. And old friends just can't be beat. I'm going to see a few of mine this weekend.

RunninL8  – (July 2, 2008 at 11:01 AM)  

What a great trip! It's so wonderful to get back in TOUCH with old friends!

dawn klinge  – (July 2, 2008 at 12:41 PM)  

My husband visited Williamsburg when he was in high school and he still talks about it..it's definitely a place we'd love to take our kids. I'm glad you had a great week and got to meet up with your friends.

Anonymous –   – (July 2, 2008 at 2:21 PM)  

Sounds like a great place and how special to go back and visit the 'family'.

Lisa Anne  – (July 2, 2008 at 6:18 PM)  

Sounds Incredible! Welcome home, I'm sure your family is happy to see you and wish you lots of sunny relaxation ahead.

Tara  – (July 2, 2008 at 8:42 PM)  

It sounds like a great trip on so many levels. I'm glad to hear it went so well.

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment!

Tutorial: needle-felted figures

tutorial: Balloon Lanterns

tutorial: neede-felted advent spiral

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP