Summer Eating


We joined our local CSA after not belonging for the past two summers. In addition to all the yummy veggies, we were able to get a big box of locally grown beef. I have come to the delightful realization that I don't have to go to the grocery store as much anymore.


That said, I am looking forward to the summer progressing and a wider variety of veggies. We are being BURIED in greens. We eat salad, but the girls would stage a revolt if we served only salad for dinner. I've ended up freezing quite a bit of spinach and kale as we just aren't getting to it and yet we are still composting too much.


I really need to spend some time finding new recipes for some of these veggies. One cookbook that has been a big help is From the Cook's Garden which is filled with recipes based on produce that I don't really know what to do with such as....swiss chard.

Now to figure out to do with all the bok choy in the fridge....

edited to add--I'm loving the kid-friendly veggie ideas. Bring them on! Thanks!

Lisa Anne  – (July 10, 2008 at 6:44 AM)  

Stir Fry!! In the summer we (of course) are surrounded by so much produce, but we have very little time to cook it. At lunch I can throw a few cups of rice in the rice cooker and it is ready when I come in. I chop up loads of veggies (bok choy, too) and throw them in the cast iron wok. It is our version of fast food. Of course bok choy is good sauteed with ginger and garlic and a splash or two of tamari. I am so glad you all have access to such good food, well it is Vermont! I think of that state as having lots of organic farms and dairies.

Tara  – (July 10, 2008 at 7:30 AM)  

Greens, Glorious Greens is a nice cookbook. The Happy Foody website also has some lovely recipes. I've been living off the kale and avocado salad lately.
Tess enjoys it when I put out a large bowl of salad greens, homemade croutons, grilled chicken and the parm grinder for a make-your-own-caesar dinner. Enjoy all your wonderful produce!

woolladyfelter  – (July 10, 2008 at 7:57 AM)  

Some women I know swear by a green smooth drink for breakfast. Kale, spinach and such. I'm sure you could find something to add to sweeten the deal for kids...

Suzanne  – (July 10, 2008 at 8:55 AM)  

The Victory Garden cookbook is a good one too as it has recipes for all the abundance from the garden.

dawn klinge  – (July 10, 2008 at 10:00 AM)  

Those pictures of your food are so pretty...I just love fresh garden food! We've been trying to buy most of our food at the farmer's market the past couple of years when it's open and I love how it's forced me to learn new recipes. Many times I'll bring something home not knowing what to do with it and then just do an internet search for recipes with that ingredient.

Angela  – (July 10, 2008 at 10:33 AM)  

Oh, yummy! I am going to have to check into CSA locally as well...I hear so many good things.

Enjoy! BTW< I've been meaning to ask you if you are familiar with Green Mountain College. My son is very interested in programs there, and I wondered if you can give me any skinny on its rep and campus.

Yarrow  – (July 10, 2008 at 11:22 AM)  

What beautiful veggies! I am hungry just looking at the photos. :) Blessings.

Anonymous –   – (July 10, 2008 at 8:04 PM)  

Ooh, chard is one of my favorite veggies! It hardly needs any cooking, just a brief braise or stirfry, like spinach. I usually just wash it, cut the leaves off the stems (you can cook the stems in slices too) and put it in a pot with just a tiny bit more water. Also good with a bit of bacon or ham, a la collard greens. Or you can cook it very lightly and then chop it and put it in quiche.

Bok choi is great too, very similar in preparation and cooking to chard--just requires a smidge longer cooking time and the stems are a bit more hearty.

Jennifer  – (July 14, 2008 at 12:14 AM)  

I have to recommend a great cookbook in the More With Less series called "Simply in Season." It is my current FAVORITE book - arranged by season and fresh ingredients - and everything I've made in it has been wonderful (from baked goods to soup and back).

When I was struggling with a liver ailment, I would drink kale smoothies - pile in the greens, add pineapple juice, a banana for sweetness, and whatever else needed eating up. As long as you add in some sweet (and have an open stomach), it ended up being something I looked forward to every day!

Unknown  – (July 14, 2008 at 12:14 AM)  

I have started disguising everything into bread: sweet breads and savory breads. Radish bread, carrot raisin muffins, peach zucchini sweet bread. Everything else that is left over gets dumped on my salad for lunch! Yum.

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment!

Tutorial: needle-felted figures

tutorial: Balloon Lanterns

tutorial: neede-felted advent spiral

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP