Take Peace


Chasing a pumpkin moonshine down a hill and through a barnyard.

Watching a birthday cake float down a stream in the dusk.

Creating a creche inside the fireplace bake oven.

These are all images and dreams I had as a child as I poured through Tasha Tudor's books again and again. I connected with the simple, yet magical ways she celebrated life, the turning seasons, and the past. I was lucky. My Grandmother also knew Mrs. Tudor and connected with her in many ways. I got to spend summers in Grandmother's old New England farmhouse with no electricity or running water having barn dances using the old Victrola, eating bread fresh from the cook stove, and exploring the wildflowers.

I hope, in my little way, I can bring some of Tasha Tudor's deep understandings of the traditional rural way of life to our children. It's so important especially in this day of peak oil and change. May we all embrace our world. Take Peace. Take Joy.

The portrait above is of me, drawn by Tasha Tudor, when I was a young girl.

Tasha Tudor's memorial

dawn klinge  – (June 20, 2008 at 10:17 AM)  

The portrait of you as a little girl...that is so precious. Tasha Tudor really was an inspiring woman. I like to learn to draw by copying different styles of illustration that I love...I've spent many hours trying to learn from Tasha Tudor. Your visits to your grandmother's farm sound like wonderful memories.

Liza  – (June 20, 2008 at 4:22 PM)  

Lovely. I just read obit in the New York Times before heading over here, and was surprised to read what you offered. So interesting! What a nifty connection to an amazing, unique and productive life. Thanks for sharing!

Lisa Anne  – (June 20, 2008 at 5:51 PM)  

The drawing from Tasha is as precious as the memories of your grandmother. Very Sweet.

Anonymous –   – (June 20, 2008 at 9:09 PM)  

Wow, that's a treasure. We just discovered her books recently, and they are wonderful.

Tara  – (June 20, 2008 at 9:14 PM)  

What an endearing portrait. I'm sure it will be treasured always. Sounds like you had some lovely times with your grandmother as well. Thanks for sharing this connection.

Simply Shelley  – (June 20, 2008 at 9:23 PM)  

Hello, how wonderful to have a conection with such a amazing woman. Your grandmother sounds like a wonder,as well. Love the little picture of you...It's very sweet.

Blessings,Shelley

Dulce Domum  – (June 21, 2008 at 7:59 AM)  

Wow, that's a real treasure. I know very little about Tasha Tudor, but she seemed quite remarkable...and perhaps quite modern in her old-fashioned thinking?

Dulce Domum  – (June 21, 2008 at 7:59 AM)  

Wow, that's a real treasure. I know very little about Tasha Tudor, but she seemed quite remarkable...and perhaps quite modern in her old-fashioned thinking?

Anonymous –   – (June 22, 2008 at 10:35 AM)  

Oh my gosh I didn't realise that Tasha Tudor had died. Lovely post and lovely picture of you - I guess you will treasure that for ever.

I love her work too. Maybe I should look out for some more of her books when I'm over in America.

Yarrow  – (July 2, 2008 at 11:47 AM)  

I have always adored Tasha Tudor and am so saddened by her passing. Blessings.

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment!

Tutorial: needle-felted figures

tutorial: Balloon Lanterns

tutorial: neede-felted advent spiral

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP