Solstice Berries


Lou and I got a batch of strawberry jam made yesterday. I hope it's the first of many such projects this summer. She loved transforming the fruit into one of her favorite foods--it was like magic to her!







We also got the solstice berries ready for the freezer. We'll eat these on December 21st with a dark chocolate cake. We won't be remembering a hot summer field this December, but instead a thundery, blustery day of jam-making.

Anonymous –   – (June 23, 2008 at 7:54 AM)  

What a lovely tradition! I sometimes wish our seasons were as marked as yours, we have just had mid-winter, and there are still the last one or two red strawberries hiding in the vege patch.

Tara  – (June 23, 2008 at 7:55 AM)  

That's a lovely tradition you have going. I remember reading your winter post about eating last summer's berries. The light shining through the jam in your photo is so pretty.

Maymomvt  – (June 23, 2008 at 8:01 AM)  

Tara--I went to stick the strawberries in the sunlight and it was gone. I think it was the only flash of sun we had all day. We're having a very rainy spell right now.

dawn klinge  – (June 23, 2008 at 9:58 AM)  

This is such a neat tradition with the berries. It's a couple of days past Solstice but I think I'll borrow your idea anyway.

denise  – (June 23, 2008 at 11:36 AM)  

YUM. This is the time I usually make strawberry jam and syrup and freeze them...so many floods around here and so much crop damage to my CSA farm where I usually get my berries. Need to find another strawberry farm (where the roads are not flooded between here and there!).

That all looks so delicious - and very summery!

Jennifer  – (June 23, 2008 at 9:58 PM)  

I am so inspired by this. It has taken me years to be able to not only remember but celebrate winter solstice, but I simply cannot keep the summer in my mind. Perhaps next year. I love the idea of canning on that day - I love canning - and of saving some first fruits for the beginning of winter. I'm always so encouraged when I stop by!

Anonymous –   – (June 24, 2008 at 7:54 AM)  

I don't remember much from my childhood, but one of the things I do remember is the smell of strawberry-jam-making!
I'm visiting your blog for the first time, so now I'm going to take a look! You're welcome to come 'over' and vistit my blog 'Verwonderland.nl'(from another 'waldorf'-mother)

Lisa Anne  – (June 24, 2008 at 8:39 AM)  

I love the idea of solstice berries! I am going to do this too! The funny thing about living on this farm is I often get so busy outside that I cannot do any of the farm wifey things that I would love to be doing instead. Last year I made lots of apricot jam but it was so good we finished it well before the winter months. This year I AM doing more. Thanks for the inspiration.

RunninL8  – (June 27, 2008 at 12:12 PM)  

Yum, yum, yum!!! ...Chocolate cake...
I miss vermont.

Gypsy  – (June 28, 2008 at 5:36 AM)  

Oh how gorgeous ... I love strawberry jam its my fave. Can't wait for summer again ... we have just celebrated winter soltics here ..

Yarrow  – (July 2, 2008 at 11:42 AM)  

I love htis tradition. I can imagine the memories you will share on Winter Solstice. Blessings.

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment!

Tutorial: needle-felted figures

tutorial: Balloon Lanterns

tutorial: neede-felted advent spiral

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP