My Perfect Day

Mother's Day dawned bright and sunny. I was greeted with breakfast in bed prepared by Lou....at 6:30 a.m. She was so excited and had been planning it all evening--scrambled eggs, toast, coffee on a pretty tray decorated with a daffodil in a little bud vase.





There is an outdoor flea/antique market nearby each Sunday, so we poured our coffee, grabbed sweaters, and went exploring. The girls pooled their money and bought me a pretty pair of earrings. I found a first edition copy of B is for Betsy--one of my most favorite childhood books which Lou also likes.



We then headed out toward the mountains. Our destination was a perennial farm where, word had it, they were selling plants for $3 each. We had to stop at this interesting shop. Inside we found a man playing and selling Native American flutes and didgeridoos. He played for us and we chatted and then headed on our way.

We found the farm, and indeed they were selling plants for $3--lilacs, forsythias, lupin, hollyhocks, herbs....so hard to choose. But we did.

We were home in time for lunch. We spent the afternoon planting our treasures.




In the evening, N and his buddy made a fabulous dinner while the ladies toured more gardens and visited.



It was a great day. I feel so blessed to have such great children and such a caring husband who spent a lot of time making it "my day."

dawn klinge  – (May 12, 2008 at 10:54 AM)  

That does sounds like a perfect day... and you deserve it!

Lisa Anne  – (May 12, 2008 at 2:18 PM)  

What a great day, I love the photo of the barn, I just love barns! You can't beat $3.00 perennials.

Tara  – (May 12, 2008 at 4:21 PM)  

I'm glad you had such a good day. Planting something special to commemorate a holiday is always so meaningful. The gift that keeps on giving!

Anonymous –   – (May 12, 2008 at 6:29 PM)  

Happy Mother's Day! I do love getting plants for Mother's Day. My husband and I are looking to buy our first house, so soon we'll have a garden that will actually be ours year to year!

Lisa  – (May 12, 2008 at 6:33 PM)  

Glad you had a lovely day. Lupins are my favorites.

Yarrow  – (May 12, 2008 at 7:00 PM)  

How lovely. What a nice day. Blessings.

Anonymous –   – (May 13, 2008 at 8:05 AM)  

What a wonderful day, even if it did start a wee bit early! :)

Gypsy  – (May 13, 2008 at 4:40 PM)  

What a beautiful day - I love the photos. Thank you for your wise words on my blog, I have learned so much from blogs like yours and other Waldorf mamas - I really appreciate your experience.

Cadi  – (May 13, 2008 at 9:53 PM)  
This comment has been removed by the author.
Cadi  – (May 13, 2008 at 9:58 PM)  

I thought I would post the response to your question here. My apologies if I will seem brief. My days could use about 36 hours instead of 24... :-) I have taught at my present school for 1-1/2 years now. Before that we lived in Germany where my children attended (and I substitute-taught) at a very old, established, traditional Waldorf school. The lady organizing the festivals there had been doing this for 20 years! Her son was now in his late 20s! :-) From all the festivals I have experienced, it seems the older children were met best. The 9th grade usually had a juice bar. This would be a "job" they were volunteering for. The 8th grade was responsible for the cafe. As far as activities go, there was archery in the open field, unicycling and other funny, weirdish bicycles to use (I remember one that was like a tandem, but not going in the same direction, so one person had to basically ride backwards trusting the other person to "find the way"). The older students also performed in the cafe... singing duets, cello, violin etc. At the spring fest they would also help the smaller children make flower crowns. At the harvest fest there was actually a blacksmith tent, and the older students would help the younger ones with forging a poker. They also created beautiful baskets in basket-weaving which they would sell, as well as amazing Advent wreaths. Since the school had a garden, it was a time for treasures from the harvest to be sold, such as cider & jellies. One of the food offerings included pizza baked in the outside brick oven which the 9th grade had built. There really wasn't all that much "fun" for them. It was more a progression from... when you are small, people work hard to create beautiful festivals and you soak in the beauty... TO... when you are older you help create the magic you remember from when you were smaller for the children in the lower grades. Participation was not optional. It was mandatory to attend and stay til the end. :-)

Lisa [strickerin]  – (May 14, 2008 at 4:15 PM)  

What a wonderful day you had and how sweet of your children to make it so spacial.

World Wide Alternative  – (May 15, 2008 at 5:09 AM)  

Fabulous day!
Oh yes, congratulations Hels, if I haven't already said so...:) Xxx

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment!

Tutorial: needle-felted figures

tutorial: Balloon Lanterns

tutorial: neede-felted advent spiral

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP