A day in my life

Jenny, of Little Jenny Wren, began a day in my life where she and fellow bloggers are writing about the dailiness of their lives on the 14th of each month. I've been wanting to do this for a couple of months, but have been too busy. I've finally done it!

Today I woke with a start at 4:30 a.m. There was just a little light glowing in the east and the owls were hooting quite loudly nearby. I got up, let Odin out, put on the coffee, and settled into reading blogs and my new book, A Voyage Long and Strange which is about the many "discoveries" of America.

6:45-- Woke the girls, showered, and headed downstairs to make lunches and start the porridge. Today we had it with blueberries we had picked one hot afternoon in August and maple syrup our friends boiled one cold night in March. After breakfast we packed up the car for school and headed out.

N is away for the week. Odin followed me around all morning with his little dog. He carries this constantly when his best buddy is away. Doesn't he look miserable?

After dropping off the girls I came home, started laundry, re-heated my coffee and headed into my office for a morning of work. I'm currently working on 2 new history websites which is a lot of fun, but this morning I worked on finances--not so fun.

Lunchtime--our school May Fair is tomorrow and our class is responsible for strawberry shortcake. My friend and I descended on BJs and bought 25 quarts of berries! Now they need to be hulled and washed....that's tomorrow's job. I'm now back at my desk answering emails and finishing tasks before picking up the girls from school.

3:00--unloaded all the May Fair stuff at the school farmhouse and went to get the girls. Discovered Hels hadn't done her classroom chore of sweeping, so had to wait around while she took care of it. Loaded up Hels, Lou, and her friend and came home.

Discovered that we really didn't have much left in the way of snacks around the house, so made a batch of oatmeal/chocolate chip cookies. They went quickly. Lou and her friend disappeared outside for the afternoon.

Hels settled into homework at the dining room table. She has gotten quite behind so had a lot to do. Here's her completed essay on Charlemagne. Blogger won't put the photo in right-side up. Sorry. I sat with her and finished up the afternoon emails that had come in while I was tending to pick-up and after-school needs.

5:30--the time crept up on me. Sent Lou's friend home. Fed Ex arrived. The neighbor arrived to borrow the tractor. What a whirl of barking dog and confusion right when dinner should be getting going.

6:30--had a really wimpy dinner of tortelinni, red sauce, and peas. Not very inspiring. The girls disappeared upstairs and became engrossed in beading for the first time in months. I spent some time gathering dirty downstairs linens, washing the dining table, and other tidying.

7:30--girls appeared with lots of beadwork to show. Got the violin practice done. Lou's got a recital on Sunday.

8:00--Hels disappeared back to beading while listening to The Voyage of the Dawn Treader. I read a couple of chapters to Lou from The Faraway Tree and then she read on her own.

8:20--said "good night" to Lou. Hels' turn to sleep with me. She got into bed with her book The Outlaws of Sherwood which is a re-telling of Robin Hood. I settled back into my history book which I'm really liking.

9:00--turned out the light after falling asleep while reading and dropping my book on the floor. Appropriately teased by older daughter.

Good Night!

Anonymous –   – (May 15, 2008 at 9:22 AM)  

Hmmm...I'm always intrigued by the idea of getting up early to have "me" time instead of staying up late. If only our house were a wee bit bigger, I think I could get away with that without waking my kids at 0'dark-thirty.

Dawn  – (May 15, 2008 at 10:48 AM)  

It was so fun to get a little glimpse into your life. So there's the secret to getting up early :)...you went to bed early. I really want to get into the habit of getting up earlier also. Have a great day!

Lisa Anne  – (May 15, 2008 at 3:25 PM)  

I always fall asleep when I am reading, I thought if I started reading in the bath tub I wouldn't likely fall asleep...I still fall asleep. Thanks for sharing a day of your life with us.

Tara  – (May 15, 2008 at 5:05 PM)  

What an idyllic day! Thanks for sharing.

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment!

Tutorial: needle-felted figures

tutorial: Balloon Lanterns

tutorial: neede-felted advent spiral

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP