Birthday!

We celebrated Hels' 12th birthday over the weekend. She had all the girls in her class come for a sleepover out in our camper. They also went to see Prince Caspian. I don't have any photos to share because every picture I took is packed with her friends' faces. I guess that's part of turning 12--the friends come more to the forefront. Phew. It took me all of Sunday to recuperate from my very late evening of trying to get them to quiet down and sleep!

Her birthday is special to me--it's when Nels and I became parents. Her birth was just as I wanted it--with a midwife, in the hospital, bearable pain, and not too long :)


In her early years at the Waldorf, we came into school for her birthday. The teacher would tell the "rainbow bridge story" and then we shared a picture of her and told a little story from when she was a baby.

The story I told was of an event that happened about a week after we came home. One night I just couldn't get her to sleep, so I went out onto the porch to sit in the cool evening air and rock. As she quieted and occasionally made a little bleating sound, I heard another little bleating sound come out of the dark. And then another and another....the lambs on the field below us were quietly settling with their mothers just like us.

How Vermont is that? Sorry. No photos of the sheep!

Anonymous –   – (May 20, 2008 at 9:21 AM)  

Happy belated Birthday to you Helen

from all of us here

Tara  – (May 20, 2008 at 10:28 AM)  

A house full of 12 year-olds... you are brave!
Happy Birthday Hels. Hoping the rest of the house catches up on sleep soon.

Lisa Anne  – (May 20, 2008 at 11:17 AM)  

Happy Birthday! Sounds like a fun time, my daughter really, super misses having a lot of friends around.

Anonymous –   – (May 20, 2008 at 2:52 PM)  

Happy Birthday Hels! I just love that sheep story :)

sarah  – (May 20, 2008 at 5:28 PM)  

Happy birthday to Hels! I loved the story - that kind of thing goes straight to my heart.

Lisa  – (May 21, 2008 at 6:04 PM)  

Happy birthday! I have a very similar pic - no lamb story though.

World Wide Alternative  – (May 22, 2008 at 9:18 AM)  

"Hatty Dirtday" to you both!
This post is so lovely I'll be going to sleep with a smile on my face...Xxx

atelierlemlem  – (May 22, 2008 at 2:41 PM)  

Sorry, I am a bit late..but Happy Birthday to Helen!!

By the way, we also see the birthdays of our kids with a little lovely storys..

Anonymous –   – (May 27, 2008 at 7:27 AM)  

sorry i'm a bit behind on reading my blogs.

But wish you a belated birthday and I hope you had a lovely day. Lovely story thank you.

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment!

Tutorial: needle-felted figures

tutorial: Balloon Lanterns

tutorial: neede-felted advent spiral

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP