April showers bring ...

...summer dreams!

On Saturday, I brought my tea and garden journal to the dining table for some thinking and planning.

We spent last summer getting dirt hauled in for grass and compost prepared for gardens. Now I get to garden! It has been fun to think about what I'd like to do where.

Before we sold our house....4 years ago now....I stashed my favorite plants in a friend's garden. They've done well, and I look forward to bringing them home.

Within moments of my sitting down, the girls joined me. Lou poured through her plethora of journals and had fun looking at all the things she collected from last summer.

Hels got more ambitious and pulled out a bookbinding kit to make a journal for a friend's birthday.



It was a delightful morning of summer dreams.

Lisa Anne  – (April 28, 2008 at 8:49 AM)  

How exciting! I love planning gardens, I am pretty much stuck with vegetables and herbs right now. But I am always planning perennial beds and Victorian gardens, I like Tasha Tudor's garden book for inspiration, I think I will be Tasha when I grow up. I did plant a big row of Sweet Peas in my garden, they are very dear to my heart.

Happy Planting!

Sue  – (April 28, 2008 at 8:50 AM)  

I loved this post! I used to have a nice vegetable patch in my yarden, but we put in a swimming pool last summer, and my garden is gone, gone, gone! I am soooo going to miss it this year...I am already. I love the planning and dreaming stage. It's so much fun to pour over seed catalogs, old garden journals, and design books.

Isn't it wonderful how children are so eager to be a part of whatever it is we're doing? If I sit down to paint, or draw, or knit, I know it won't be long before I have a companion (or two, or five) beside me, to share in the joy of making and doing together.

Maymomvt  – (April 28, 2008 at 8:54 AM)  

Susan--you make such a good point. If I just quietly go to the dining room table and begin a project, the children readily join in. Any boredom is instantly gone!

Lisa--I also like Tasha Tudor's gardens.

denise  – (April 28, 2008 at 9:22 AM)  

I am planning my garden, I mean, small patch of earth! ;) I like figuring out ways to get the most into such a small space.

I love the energy of a family working/reading/playing/creating around a table. My boys are the same - I start something quietly and they come over immediately to participate.

World Wide Alternative  – (April 28, 2008 at 9:29 AM)  

Can't wait to see all of your plans come to fruition, keep us posted won't you?
I'd love to see the finished journal too! Xxx

Anonymous –   – (April 28, 2008 at 9:54 AM)  

Hubby and the girl went running errands yesterday and came home with a little tomato plant. We can't really put in a garden where we are, but the girl does love tomatoes. Plus we have a bunch more sun in the front yard from the maple being cut down. Some day we'll have a veggie garden!

Tara  – (April 28, 2008 at 5:24 PM)  

I love that little trick too, of beginning a project and watching a child join in. So much nicer than saying, "Turn off that stupid TV and find something to do!" :-)
It took me five years to get my gardens at the last house looking just so. They year we moved, they looked amazing. Since moving we've been busy with work and health issues so things are a little more neglected. One day though... one day...

dawn klinge  – (April 28, 2008 at 7:21 PM)  

That sounds like such a fun way to spend time together. I love it when my kids and I all have our little projects to work on side by side. Garden planning is something I love to do. This is my first year in my current house so I'm starting small with containers, but we did plant some lettuce this weekend. Next weekend...herbs and tomatoes!

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment!

Tutorial: needle-felted figures

tutorial: Balloon Lanterns

tutorial: neede-felted advent spiral

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP