Hope


"You can't deny
The other side
Don't want to die
Any more than we do
What I'm trying to say,
Is don't they pray
Tell me, how does God choose?
Whose prayers does he refuse?
Who turns the wheel?
And who throws the dice
On the day after tomorrow?"





We had the extraordinary experience of hearing Joan Baez in concert last night. Her message of non-violence and peace brought a new sense of urgency and a new hope to us all. Hels and Lou were fascinated by her story and were in awe of her presence, as was I. I went to a Joan Baez concert about 10 years ago, and that concert was nothing like this.

Last night Joan stood on that stage and gave us a concert that spoke directly to our times. At one point, she spoke of working with Dr. King. She said that not since then has she felt such hope for the healing of our world as she does today with Barack Obama's candidacy. The audience roared their approval, and she launched into yet another song that spoke so simply, yet directly to each of us about our responsibilities to this world.

There was much to contemplate in the car on the way home.

Finlandia

This is my song
Oh god of all the nations
A song of peace
For lands afar and mine

This is my home
The country where my heart is
Here are my hopes
My dreams my holy shrine

But other hearts
In other lands are beating
With hopes and dreams
As true and high as mine

My countries skies
Are bluer than the ocean
And sunlight beams
On clover leaf and pine

But other lands
Have sunlight too and clover
And skies are everywhere
As blue as mine

Oh hear my song
Oh god of all the nations
A song of peace
For their land and for mine

Tara  – (March 26, 2008 at 7:43 AM)  

That sounds like an amazing experience. I'm glad you had the chance to go and that you chose to share with us, too!

dawn klinge  – (March 26, 2008 at 9:59 AM)  

I love listening to live music. How exciting that you got to see Joan Baez and take your girls also. Her lyrics are beautiful. I want to go and listen to her songs now. I've been watching a miniseries about the American Revolution lately and it makes me so proud of where we come from, yet so sad about the state of things right now- I love our country and I'm looking for hope that things will get better.

Anonymous –   – (March 26, 2008 at 10:37 AM)  

What a great quote. Reminds me of how I feel whenever I see those "God Bless the USA" bumper stickers--shouldn't God be blessing us all? I thought that he stopped that "chosen people" stuff a long time ago! If we put stickers on our car, I'd choose one of those "God Bless the Whole World--No Exceptions" ones.

denise  – (March 26, 2008 at 12:00 PM)  

How wonderful. I love how music not only speaks to our hearts, but our heads.

denise  – (March 26, 2008 at 12:01 PM)  
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lisa Anne  – (March 26, 2008 at 5:53 PM)  

Oh Finlandia, Amelia just said the other day that it would be so nice to have a song like that as our national anthem instead of one about war. This is such a beautiful song.

Joan looks great and I'm glad you and your girls got to go and be inspired by her.

Yarrow  – (March 26, 2008 at 7:04 PM)  

Love, love, love Joan baez! I am so envious, I would love to see her in concert. her message is timeless.

Tammy  – (March 26, 2008 at 8:18 PM)  

So very, very amazing.

Way cool.

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment!

Tutorial: needle-felted figures

tutorial: Balloon Lanterns

tutorial: neede-felted advent spiral

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP