Green Week: 2

I don't know why I decided to embark on "Green Week". I have no time this week--I'm not even home when the sun is up today.

This series of books is a favorite in our house. They were my mother's and I also loved them as a child. The set of 12 books begins with a volume of beautiful nursery rhymes and then progresses with many classics in children's literature, some abridged, some not. They were written in the 1920s and seem to almost follow the Waldorf curriculum! There are fairy tales, folk tales from around the world, mythology, some Chaucer and Shakespeare, and an entire volume of childhood biographies of authors.

While we poured through these books when the girls were younger, they've been sitting on the shelf for awhile now. I've been wanting to do some reading out loud with Hels, and am thinking this might be where we begin!

Anonymous –   – (March 4, 2008 at 8:46 AM)  

What fun - I had these when I was young - they were deep blue. I hate that they were given to the grands and they let them get away.
One man's trash is another man's treasure, I guess.
Thanks for the memory!
~Mad(elyn) in Alabama

dawn klinge  – (March 4, 2008 at 9:45 AM)  

I love many old children's books. The illustrations on those are beautiful. Those look like quite a treasure.

Anonymous –   – (March 4, 2008 at 2:45 PM)  

Its funny, as I read your description of them I though they sounded like perfect Charlotte Mason books! I envy you.

patience.

Tara  – (March 4, 2008 at 4:08 PM)  

Those sound like wonderful family treasures! And I'm with Dawn, the illustrations and typography are great.

Lisa  – (March 4, 2008 at 4:41 PM)  

They look like lovely old old books, just the type I love. happy reading. Lisa (UK)

kristin  – (March 4, 2008 at 7:03 PM)  

they sound like treasures! and make a great contribution to green week :)

Suzanne  – (March 4, 2008 at 7:46 PM)  

I was lucky enough to find a set at our Antiquarian bookshop--they are indeed treasures!

Tammy  – (March 5, 2008 at 1:28 AM)  

We have these in our home and love them as well. Ours are white. lol

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment!

Tutorial: needle-felted figures

tutorial: Balloon Lanterns

tutorial: neede-felted advent spiral

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP