Rhythms and Rhymes at a Waldorf Daycare


Chip chop,
Chip chop.
Cutting wood
for winter's cold.

Chip chop,
Chip chop.
All the wood
the basket will hold.

I remember E saying this little rhyme over and over while "chopping wood" with her fingers, then hands, then arms.

Yesterday, when I pulled down a box from the attic which had the girls' baby/toddler books, etc., in them, I found a huge stack of E's notes from her daycare. She attended an in-home daycare which was run by a Waldorf teacher who wanted to be at home with her young child. Every single day she sent home one of these notes. They are very fun to read as they recall the rhythms of the day and of the year.

It was a simple rhythm as fits very young children. They went outdoors EVERY SINGLE DAY--bless that teacher. The circles were usually classic, seasonal nursery rhymes with finger motions for the older children (age 3 - 4). Here's a summer newsletter with some of the rhymes she did with the kids.


Here's the winter newsletter with a few more rhymes. She drew many of these materials from Mother Goose and other nursery books. No fairy tales, no fables--all of those came later when they were older. Some of her material came from A Child's Seasonal Treasury. I like that both my girls received such a treasure of language and imagery when they were this age.


I am so happy to have these. We are all having fun reading back through them and I thought those of you with young children might enjoy seeing how one in-home Waldorf daycare worked.

dawn klinge  – (February 6, 2008 at 5:37 PM)  

I very much appreciated seeing those sweet little newsletters. How wonderful that your children were able to go to this daycare. My daughter went to daycare when she was young and it would have been unbearable to leave her if she hadn't had such a great place to go. Her teacher also taught many of the little rhymes that are so important and sent them outdoors often. I just reserved that book you mentioned from my library, I can't wait to take a look at it.

World Wide Alternative  – (February 6, 2008 at 7:30 PM)  

This brilliant!
Thank-you so much for letting me know about your post.
I'll be back...Xxx

Jennifer  – (February 6, 2008 at 8:01 PM)  

As a homeschooling mom with a toddler to boot, I was so interested in these (and loved the poop report on the first!). I love to see how different people structure their day and time, and to garner ideas for ways to improve the rhythm of our day. If only I had time to make little lovely daily reports of our own!

Henitsirk  – (February 6, 2008 at 8:26 PM)  

Those newsletters are amazing! My kids go to a wonderful Waldorf/Lifeways daycare, but we don't get anything like those sweet things. I did see that same rhyme about King Winter is up on her bulletin board, though. Too bad Mrs. Thaw has been working overtime this year, though...our kids have gotten very few outside days in the snow.

queen of the castle  – (February 6, 2008 at 10:07 PM)  

That is so precious - what keepsakes! With little illustrations and colored ink - if she put that much love into the report home, surely your children received lots of love too.

Tara  – (February 7, 2008 at 8:52 AM)  

I imagine this was the type of caretaker your children were excited to see each day. How wonderful! Bless her heart for taking the time to create those daily reports, and yours for saving them all and taking the time to go through them with your girls. Perhaps they will share them with their children one day...

Anonymous –   – (February 7, 2008 at 11:04 AM)  

Lovely to catch up on all your recent news. Those newsletters are such a gem and I can see why you kept hold of them. She must have been an amzing lady.

We are so envious of all your snow and the lovely days in that you get with them. I'm sure it must get annoying in the end but just think of us who get about one or two days of a few inches of snow and that's it.

Anonymous –   – (February 7, 2008 at 1:10 PM)  

What an amazing teacher! The structure of the day sounds very much like my son's preschool, which he absolutely loved. He also went outside everyday, both in preschool and now in kinder. I think it's wonderful!

charong –   – (October 18, 2009 at 12:58 PM)  

Your blog and school looks amazing. Our son went a Waldorf Kinder home school and we are about to start a Waldorf day care for toddlers at our home. Your newsletters are inspiring!

Anonymous –   – (November 18, 2009 at 9:15 AM)  

Who knows where to download XRumer 5.0 Palladium?
Help, please. All recommend this program to effectively advertise on the Internet, this is the best program!

Unknown  – (February 10, 2013 at 10:01 PM)  

After reading some nice stuff in your article I really feel speechlesschildcare hills area

hillslittle  – (April 22, 2013 at 8:58 AM)  

Thanks for the post. You should take part in a contest for one of the best blogs On Childcare Hills Area. I will recommend this site!

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment!

Tutorial: needle-felted figures

tutorial: Balloon Lanterns

tutorial: neede-felted advent spiral

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP