Happy Valentine's Day


We've had quite a beginning to our day with way too much ice to deal with. Despite the glowing photos of fire and ice, I'm sort of wishing I could be on a warm beach collecting more heart-shaped stones.


Last year, N made these heart-shaped candle holders for Valentine's Day. As I went to put some red candles in them and decorate the table, I paused. I have been reading Green Housekeeping and have been re-thinking a number of things about the way I clean and keep our home. In the chapter on "Indoor Pollution Control," the author talks about how most commercial candles contain large amounts of synthetic chemicals that are released into the air as the candle burns and how some wicks contain lead. Every day for the past week, N and I have watched the large amounts of smoke coming out of our nightly candles after they have been snuffed with increasing trepidation.

I decided not to put these red candles on the table today. We'll be turning to beeswax and using up all our Ikea candles out in their little snow caves or on the porch this summer until they are gone. I think we'll all breathe a little easier.

thegoodwitch  – (February 14, 2008 at 1:21 PM)  

Yeah, great decision making! Many years ago, I read that the single most impt change you can make in your household is getting rid of all chemical cleaners and I'm such candles count in that category :-) What a great idea to find Valentine's Rocks. I shall have to save that one for next year with my girls. Happy V Day.

Lisa Anne  – (February 14, 2008 at 4:02 PM)  

Hey! I collect heart shape stones too, I have a picture of them on my blog today. I have stones from every place I visit, N. Carolina, Vermont, Oregon,Ohio, France, and now PA, we have a lot of streams and rocks around our property so I am always on the look out for more hearts! Happy Valentine's Day!

queen of the castle  – (February 14, 2008 at 4:20 PM)  

Yes - lead in the wicks, artificial fragrances, etc. We are still using Ikea tea lights in the children's rooms at night (since beeswax cost $1 each!) but for poured pillar candles I found good prices at the Cottage Stillroom and purchased SEVERAL.

Anonymous –   – (February 14, 2008 at 4:26 PM)  

Happy Valentine's Day! We are lucky that we can get beeswax candles with cotton wicks made by the Fellowship Community residents. Otherwise we'd be at IKEA too.

dawn klinge  – (February 14, 2008 at 4:57 PM)  

Good choice on the candles. Those rocks are so pretty. Hope you warm up soon. Happy Valentines day.

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment!

Tutorial: needle-felted figures

tutorial: Balloon Lanterns

tutorial: neede-felted advent spiral

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP